Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy sleeping in the bed?

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin, thanks for the advice! She is already crate trained thank God. Last night she slept in her crate but I missed her. I am also a pretty light sleeper, I'm not worried about crushing her since I've had cats/kittens sleep with me when I lived w my parents. She did sleep in the crate for the first few weeks I had her.

Interesting about the starting to pee/poo in the bed. I hope she doesn't do that. So far she's very good about waking me up when she has to go. Maybe I'm giving her too much credit, but I really feel like she knows not to do that.
    New mama to Lady - a charming ruby cavalier puppy. I love her more than chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like

Winston spent his first few nights in our bed because my husband couldn't bear to make him sleep alone. The second he whined Joe jumped up and went to get him. He never messed the bed or got into anything, he just insisted on sleeping across the pillows, and after 2 nights of both human kids getting up and crawling in my bed it became clear that 2 adults, 2 toddlers, and a puppy can not share a full bed. Eventually I convinced Joe that crate training isn't mean, and Winston has slept happily in his crate since. When he's over a year I will reevaluate and consider letting him in our bed.
    Andrea- Mommy to Winston, blenheim boy born 12/10/2011, and two human children, George 6/11/09 and Lela 1/25/11

Post Thanks / Like

It's much better that the puppy doesn't sleep in the bed.
    Apart from the risk of crushing a puppy,or the annoyance of disturbing your sleep,the biggest risk is the puppy falling off the bed in the dark and being injured.
    We used to allow Daisy to sleep on the bed for a while,but once you've had a few experiences of throwing your brand new duvet in the bin at 2am, because she's been sick/peed on or chewed the sheets,trust me...it's better that they have their own space.
    I have two cavaliers now and they're allowed down to the bed in the morning for a snuggle.
    That still means we have to vacuum the bedding daily due to hairs.Its amazing how much coat a cavalier will have as an adult, and you will endure torture,picking tufts of hair from a shedding dog once they shed.I know they're so adorable and snuggly,but it's better for you long term if puppy has it's own little space to sleep.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt let my first cavalier Scooby sleep in our bed as I dont agree with it like I dont think kids/babies should sleep in a parents bed either. A dog needs its own space/bed and if they are ill during the night you dont have to stress about sick or wee or worse in your bed either!! We now have a 5 month old puppy and from day one hes slept in a crate on his own bed in the kitchen downstairs and he complained at first but now hes fine. I let him snuggle up with me in a morning especially at weekends if hes been good in his crate but its while Iam awake and I go down in the morning and let him out first.

Everyone is different and have their own preference so you have to do whats right for you.....

Post Thanks / Like

I am a morning snuggle person too, but at night they have their own beds in the kitchen. I sometimes wish they could come up but my husband wouldn't like it, and it wouldn't be practical as three doggies and two people to one bed don't go
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing how many of us love a morning snuggle! Bella races inside after going potty because she knows it is special cuddle time!
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug11 View Post
    Hi all! So when I got my puppy everyone advised I have her sleep in the crate - which I did for the first few weeks I had her and she'd whine a bit at first but then settle down and sleep through the night fine. Lately I have been letting her sleep in the bed with me. I just want to snuggle her all the time! It's really more for me than it is for her...but I don't want to instill any bad behaviors in her. She's just such a good cuddle buddy. Why aren't we supposed to let our pups sleep with us? She'd have been allowed on the bed as an adult anyway...

(is it possible to love your puppy too much? )
    The same thing happened with me when I got Lady. I trained her to sleep in her lovely comfortable bed in the laundry. She complained at first, but then it became a nice routine. The problem was, I missed her too much! So I got some puppy stairs for her (because she was such a little bub) and let her sleep in my bed. Then she got into the habit of sleeping under the covers. Then I got a kitten, the kitten saw Lady sleep under the covers and decided she would do the same. I have a very furry bed, that's for sure! But I wash both the sheets and Lady regularly so all is good.

I just can't sleep without her now!
    Matilda
    Mummy to Lady (Blenheim Cavalier) and Lola (Silver Tabby British Shorthair)

Post Thanks / Like

When we first had my Alf he was slept in a crate down stairs but he whined badly. Someone advised us to put the crate in our room and move the crate 6 inches a night until it was out the door. He stopped whining at night but as soon as the crate was out the door, the whining would start. It took a long time for the crate to get to the door because i have a large bedroom. It was such a problem i then had an Alf with seperation anxiety! I had to borrow my mums dog to teach him to sleep downstairs, which worked until my mum wanted her dog back! So we bought a springer spaniel who he now loves and adores and they love each other loads. They will not be parted! This all started from having Alf in my room. I think you should think about putting the pup on the floor in a dog bed and meet half way. It can cause problems if one night you couldn't sleep at home or you needed the pup to sleep downstairs for whatever reason. I love my dog but i need space in my bed. I am thinking of long term problems xx