• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy sleeping in the bed?

ladybug11

Hi all! So when I got my puppy everyone advised I have her sleep in the crate - which I did for the first few weeks I had her and she'd whine a bit at first but then settle down and sleep through the night fine. Lately I have been letting her sleep in the bed with me. I just want to snuggle her all the time! It's really more for me than it is for her...but I don't want to instill any bad behaviors in her. She's just such a good cuddle buddy. Why aren't we supposed to let our pups sleep with us? She'd have been allowed on the bed as an adult anyway...

(is it possible to love your puppy too much? :l*v: )

Mine both sleep in my bed. Or rather, I sleep in their bed. I get tasked with turning the light off every night, which means they steal the good spots before I get in bed.

My Tess sleeps with my daughter every night. As long as your pup is house trained and not messing up your bed, and isn't getting loose and into trouble at night, I say go for it! I love having Tess sleep with me once in a while. Very comforting.

Our pup is nearly 8 months old, and he has been sleeping on the end of our bed lately. He'll sleep right through the night and we haven't had a problem with it.
Last night, he slept in his own bed, which is still in our master bedroom with us, but while we slept, he decided to yank up huge chunks of our new
carpet and ate into our new hardwood bed.

I growled at him this morning, but when he's up on the bed, we know where he is and he isn't getting into any mischief.

Ok this is great to hear!!!!! She knows not to pee/poo in the bed. She came crate/bed trained which was awesome, never had a problem with that. :) She also sleeps through the night (like a friggin ROCK). And I know what you mean about it being their bed!! Lol she is so small but she has the whole state of Texas and I'm stuck in teeny weeny Rhode Island when we sleep together!!! ;)

Bella sleeps in her bed in the Bathroom, but whoever is up first in the morning takes her to the potty and then she has a cuddle with us. The only reason she doesn't sleep there through the night is because she is a BED HOG, and we have 2 cats that sleep where they wish. Sometimes if I am feeling particularly depressed or stressed about work I will take her to bed and cuddle her all night though. :)

There isn't any rule against having dogs sleep in the bed -- lots of people have them there! But with puppies there's a risk of crushing them when they are small, and also you can find they do start to pee in the bed (I think most of us have probably had that happen at least once with at least one dog...). Dogs aren't really reliable til about age one -- and beds have really interesting human smells that they seem to like to pee/poop on just as they like to do with dog odours outside. I think it is better for puppies to be nearby either in a box or a crate at least for a few weeks and also, having them in a crate is the way you start to crate training, to my mind a very essential task as it makes so many aspects of having a dog much easier (NEVER in order to leave them in a crate all day while people are at work -- but for SHORT crating periods or at night when they sleep, for travel, for vet visits, safe car transport etc).

I used to have dogs in the room at night but it got to the point where it affected my sleep (I am a light sleeper) and they shifted around too much. I missed having them a bit (and it took a week for them to learn to sleep in crates, 2 by 2, in another room -- they were already crate trained and sleep in them when home boarding but hadn't at my place) but I could not believe the difference in how much more rested I was and I knew the arrangement was better for my household. One dog on the other hand was easier. :)

Tails sleeps on our bed. We have strict rules though... no chewing, digging, bouncing, exploring or general monkeying around. If there is monkeying around then he goes in his basket :)

I allow my dogs to sleep on my bed but I actually never allow them under the covers because they shed dog hair everywhere. I also trained them to sleep at the foot of the bed.

Lucky sleeps on the bed part of the night but if I get up he goes to his bed.

I do find I sleep better though when they are not on the bed, so I totally understand why others don't let them sleep on the bed. I might do the same, but I work during the day so I figure it's important for them to sleep on the bed since they have more limited time with me.

Karlin, thanks for the advice! She is already crate trained thank God. Last night she slept in her crate but I missed her. I am also a pretty light sleeper, I'm not worried about crushing her since I've had cats/kittens sleep with me when I lived w my parents. She did sleep in the crate for the first few weeks I had her.

Interesting about the starting to pee/poo in the bed. I hope she doesn't do that. So far she's very good about waking me up when she has to go. Maybe I'm giving her too much credit, but I really feel like she knows not to do that.:smile:

Winston spent his first few nights in our bed because my husband couldn't bear to make him sleep alone. The second he whined Joe jumped up and went to get him. He never messed the bed or got into anything, he just insisted on sleeping across the pillows, and after 2 nights of both human kids getting up and crawling in my bed it became clear that 2 adults, 2 toddlers, and a puppy can not share a full bed. Eventually I convinced Joe that crate training isn't mean, and Winston has slept happily in his crate since. When he's over a year I will reevaluate and consider letting him in our bed.

It's much better that the puppy doesn't sleep in the bed.
Apart from the risk of crushing a puppy,or the annoyance of disturbing your sleep,the biggest risk is the puppy falling off the bed in the dark and being injured.
We used to allow Daisy to sleep on the bed for a while,but once you've had a few experiences of throwing your brand new duvet in the bin at 2am, because she's been sick/peed on or chewed the sheets,trust me...it's better that they have their own space.
I have two cavaliers now and they're allowed down to the bed in the morning for a snuggle.
That still means we have to vacuum the bedding daily due to hairs.Its amazing how much coat a cavalier will have as an adult, and you will endure torture,picking tufts of hair from a shedding dog once they shed.I know they're so adorable and snuggly,but it's better for you long term if puppy has it's own little space to sleep.
Sins

I didnt let my first cavalier Scooby sleep in our bed as I dont agree with it like I dont think kids/babies should sleep in a parents bed either. A dog needs its own space/bed and if they are ill during the night you dont have to stress about sick or wee or worse in your bed either!! We now have a 5 month old puppy and from day one hes slept in a crate on his own bed in the kitchen downstairs and he complained at first but now hes fine. I let him snuggle up with me in a morning especially at weekends if hes been good in his crate but its while Iam awake and I go down in the morning and let him out first.

Everyone is different and have their own preference so you have to do whats right for you.....

I am a morning snuggle person too, but at night they have their own beds in the kitchen. I sometimes wish they could come up but my husband wouldn't like it, and it wouldn't be practical as three doggies and two people to one bed don't go:):)

It's amazing how many of us love a morning snuggle! Bella races inside after going potty because she knows it is special cuddle time!

Hi all! So when I got my puppy everyone advised I have her sleep in the crate - which I did for the first few weeks I had her and she'd whine a bit at first but then settle down and sleep through the night fine. Lately I have been letting her sleep in the bed with me. I just want to snuggle her all the time! It's really more for me than it is for her...but I don't want to instill any bad behaviors in her. She's just such a good cuddle buddy. Why aren't we supposed to let our pups sleep with us? She'd have been allowed on the bed as an adult anyway...

(is it possible to love your puppy too much? :l*v: )

The same thing happened with me when I got Lady. I trained her to sleep in her lovely comfortable bed in the laundry. She complained at first, but then it became a nice routine. The problem was, I missed her too much! So I got some puppy stairs for her (because she was such a little bub) and let her sleep in my bed. Then she got into the habit of sleeping under the covers. Then I got a kitten, the kitten saw Lady sleep under the covers and decided she would do the same. I have a very furry bed, that's for sure! But I wash both the sheets and Lady regularly so all is good.

I just can't sleep without her now!

When we first had my Alf he was slept in a crate down stairs but he whined badly. Someone advised us to put the crate in our room and move the crate 6 inches a night until it was out the door. He stopped whining at night but as soon as the crate was out the door, the whining would start. It took a long time for the crate to get to the door because i have a large bedroom. It was such a problem i then had an Alf with seperation anxiety! I had to borrow my mums dog to teach him to sleep downstairs, which worked until my mum wanted her dog back! So we bought a springer spaniel who he now loves and adores and they love each other loads. They will not be parted! This all started from having Alf in my room. I think you should think about putting the pup on the floor in a dog bed and meet half way. It can cause problems if one night you couldn't sleep at home or you needed the pup to sleep downstairs for whatever reason. I love my dog but i need space in my bed. I am thinking of long term problems xx

Back