Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tommy has had pain episodesl

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thinking of you both xx I know it's hard to hear about yet another condition but it sounds like it might actually be good news in this case.

i do hope you manage to get him settled and more comfortable.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

How is Tommy now Margaret? Hope he's enjoying his new food, but more importantly, feeling better.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to read this. Is he doing any better?

Send him gentle hugs from us
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your concern.

Tommy is better than he was, he is no longer having the bouts of pain with the yelping and frantic attempts to get onto my lap and into my arms, but he still yelps occasionally when he moves, he is sometimes obviously restless and uncomfortable, so I have still felt the need to give him a Tramadol tablet at some time during each day.

He wanted to come for a walk with the fluffies today and he managed well. He is eating a little fish & rice, or chicken & rice, but does not think much of the tin of Royal Canin's special low fat diet.

This morning, for the first time, his poop was a bright yellow/orange colour, which I understand is a sign of pancreatitis, before today his motions had been completely normal. He has never vomited or shown any sign of gastric problems.

His eye is healing very slowly, but it does seem to be slightly improved. Over all I think he is going to be okay but I'm not able to relax yet.

I just thank goodness that it was lovely Dr Penny Watson, an expert in pancreatic problems, that was available to receive us that afternoon.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meljoy View Post
    Margaret,
    Im so sorry to read this about Tommy. You know Im quite close to Cambridge and if you need any thing......anything at all then just let me know.

Fingers crossed that he will improve and become comfy again.

Sending love to you both
    Mel X
    Thank you Mel, I do appreciate the thought.
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my what a fright. I am happy to hear Tommy is doing a bit better.
    Sending healing thoughts his way.
    Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh...my heart is going out to you and Tommy right now Margaret. It is all not too fair is it? I am so sorry. I will pray for you and Tommy daily and that you, he and the doctors are guided every step of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry I missed all this. I imagine your emotions must be all over the place. Am hoping for an update.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not updated before because I have an almost superstitious fear that by saying how well Tommy is doing I will jinx things.

Tommy needed Tramadol for a few days to control the bouts of pain, but they became less and less severe until he was just giving just one or two solitary yelps a day. I think that was because he was still getting twinges of pain when moving or when being stepped on by the little Chins who do like to join him in his bed.

We had a couple of days of unusual sleep patterns for him when he was taking himself off to lie in rooms away from us all or protecting himself by going behind chairs but that has now stopped. He is not twitching, scratching, paw licking, air licking, his back legs are not shaking and he has near enough stopped demanding attention by scratching at my legs ( the most obvious sign of discomfort with Tom )
    He is sleeping deeply, and does not seem restless at all.

He was slow to start eating properly but I think it is because he did not really like the Chappie & Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Low Fat dry food mixture that is now his permanent diet.

He should not have anything that has a fat content more than 10% of the solid content so I have become quite experienced at reading the ingredients, subtracting the moisture from the total and recalculating the percentage of fat to the figure that is left.

I had to do some research on suitable treats, as I did not want him left out when the others had theirs. Fortunately he likes Tesco dental sticks and their low fat chicken strips. Bonios are also allowed.

Tom was mightily perked up by the fact that Faith, who usually lives with my daughter, came to stay here last weekend. He forgot he was an old man & started propositioning her like mad. It delighted me to see him so full of get up aand go but she was very indignant and soon let him know that she is not a girl like that.

Tom has always been the sweetest dog and now, of course, he is my doubly precious boy.
    Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like

So glad that Tommy has perked up and responded to treatment.

Over here people are being warned off inexpensive chicken treats, ones made in China. There have quite a few dog deaths. Don't want to alarm you but thought you might want to look at the label and make sure the chicken is domestic.