• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Raw bones?! Any thoughts?!

cheekyAlfie

I found something on Internet so been looking into it a bit more about giving raw bones to dogs and apparently Cavaliers like chicken necks?! I've read they're good for teeth cleaning, bad breath, anal glands and of course occupying the dog so I'm keen to give them! Does anyone regularly give their dogs raw bones and are they safe etc would Alfie be too young at nearly 5 months?

Some people swear by them, some won't give them at all. Use the search feature to find Karlin's picture of a large shard of bone from one of her cavaliers.

I give mine oxtails, and have never had any issues. But there's always some danger associated with any bones.

I won't give my Chloe any chicken bones. (Just google on the internet, and you'll see a lot about splintering with chicken bones.) I gave Chloe a raw bone once, but since she liked to pick it up and carry it around with her, I was a bit grossed out by the potential parasites, etc. so that was a one shot deal. I now give her bully sticks (she LOVES them), and then also a rawhide bone. I like that these are fully digestible and keep her occupied for hours!

Oooo That scared me a bit!! Not sure i want to give them now! Plus I hadn't really thought of the mess I don't fancy that much especially not with children around too! No I think I'll try a rawhide bone?! What other things are there that Alfie would like to get his teeth into ?!! I must admit I'm more used to a larger dog which really would be happy with anything to chew and gnaw at and I feel us just that but more robust than Alfie! Bad perhaps but I worry much more over what Alfie gets as Danny seems to be able to handle anything!!! :0/​

My cavalier, Brussles Griffon and Rh. Ridgeback are given raw bovine bones as soon as the weather is warm enough for the Ridge to lay on the lawn and gnaw away.

I usually get the "hocks" because of the sinew and a small quantity of meat on them. They are given raw.

They saved me a $500. vet bill for tooth scaling. My Tibetan Terrier developed MVD when she was 8 or so and that's what it cost. The hock was about $5.00 and I've never had a problem with them.

My cavs have bones but usually ribs which they love and keeps them busy for ages. I will not give rawhide chews as i have heard of so many dogs chocking when they go soggy and they swallow them. Pip nearly chocked to death that way luckily i was around and managed to pull it back out but it scared me so much so i will never feed them again

Back