Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cavaliers Breed Standard Size/Weight

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's an interesting reply. Thanks Brian! Funny that she said that she is asked if her cavaliers are puppies. Elton is really small 12lbs. He is smaller boned and next to other cavaliers he just is overall tiny.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

I started to show amy, last december in baby's class. We had 3 shows, so far, here in Portugal.
    I saw many cavs above the standard limits and wining. I know that some males had 10kg and 11 kg (22-24 lbs). And I think that they are most likely to be notested, just because they're bigger.

Amy is almost 6 kg (13lbs) and female, so that is not a very fair competition for her .
    But she's only 9 months. However I like her small (and toy!) and I will not over feed her just to grow for shows!
    She feets on my lap, but not on my mum's lap anymore!

In my personal opinion, if we have toy dogs, we should keep then small (to medium, in cavs, that might be the 8 kg). I bought a toy, I didn't bought a medium sized dog.
    Carla & Amy,
    From Portugal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just my opinion of course, as a pet owner, who neither breeds or is a part of the show world of dogs in general.
    That to me comes across as very pretentious and almost insulting. I understand that those are the breed standards, but
    they will never be adapted unless someone they hold of importance raises their hand on the issue. My view may be a little
    stereotypical, but for me it only affirms that the society of showing is really only for certain cliques and if your Cavalier falls on either
    side of what they deem to be 'correct size', your ousted.

It's intimidating for inexperienced Cavalier owners.
    I rarely find myself agitated, but I'll be stuffed If I'm going to let some stuffy, out of touch group dictate what my Cavalier should
    aspire to, bugger that.

Sorry, just makes me a little agro

Post Thanks / Like

I think if people plan to breed cavaliers,they must always keep the breed standard in mind.It's not just about size,but about soundness,movement and temperament too.By putting a dog under a judge you can get a very useful opinion.I think most of the bitches are a very nice size,very feminine but still with good substance.
    Cavaliers who are well up to size,can and do win,depending on what a judge likes.
    I agree with the point made by Brian's friend.I'm not a fan of the "elongated body and low to the ground". Put that with the amount of coat that some dogs have and they seem to disappear into the grass.The dogs who win consistently, have the whole package,expression,balance,coat,movement and the temperament for the occasion.
    You meet all kinds of characters in the show world,some delightfully bonkers,but also some really great people too.
    I'd prefer my kids to take up a hobby like showing dogs,than holding up a street corner on a saturday morning,or with a game console in front of them for half the day.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I also get asked if my two are puppies - but usually by children, using the logic that if all small people (children) grow into big people (adults) then the same must apply to dogs: small dogs = puppies who will grow into big dogs = adults

It's simply one of the facts of life that show Cavaliers will be closer to the breed standard than many pet Cavaliers - that is precisely what show Cavaliers are (supposedly) carefully bred for (measuring noses to see if they are the actual 1.5 inches asked for could be an interesting exercise!). And those that don't conform to the breed standard in, for example, size, will be sold as pets. In addition, many puppy farmers and backyard breeders are breeding with no reference to the breed standard at all, and many pet owners, who constitute their clients and have no knowledge of the breed standard, actually like a slightly larger dog, and that is also going to contribute to an increase in the overall size of the pet Cavalier population. We all, show people and pet owners, just need to remember that we are dealing with a Toy Spaniel - Toy = a small dog, Spaniel = in the words of the breed standard, a sporting, fearless dog. It's a difficult balance to keep, but pet owners can help by refusing to buy a puppy, however cute, whose parents are enormous and/or who is clearly nervous. We can all help to keep the Cavalier as the breed we want; the breed standard size range will be the desirable average, with variations on both sides - as the standard says, somewhere nicely in the middle is the ideal, but given so many other characteristics that need to be bred for, differences are inevitable (think of humans!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled