Thread: Microchip question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Microchip question

My dog , Bee, has not been microchipped. I have a concern since he has CM and PSOM. Is ther a position that the chip should be put at?
    thanks
    Kitty

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kitty,
    the Microchip should be implanted low down, between the shoulderblades, and not on the back of the neck,otherwise it will interfere will mri scans and obscure the view of the central canal.This is very important if you plan on Mri scanning your dog in the future.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    Hi Kitty,
    the Microchip should be implanted low down, between the shoulderblades, and not on the back of the neck,otherwise it will interfere will mri scans and obscure the view of the central canal.This is very important if you plan on Mri scanning your dog in the future.
    Sins
    Aren't microchips usually placed between the shoulders?

Sorry, I really don't know what's "standard". My vet put them between the shoulders.

Post Thanks / Like

Between the shoulder blades is fairly normal, but I think they can also be implanted completely away from the spine if you ask your vet. Being elsewhere might just cause confusion, I suppose, if your dog got lost and someone was using the gadget to look for a microchip - but then I think they scan the whole body anyway, as chips sometimes migrate. The neck/shoulder area is normally used because it's an easy place that doesn't cause much discomfort (which is why shots/vaccinations go in there as well). If, as seems likely, microchipping all dogs becomes mandatory in the UK, the neurologists are going to be cursing!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    Hi Kitty,
    Sins
    Thanks
    Kitty