• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Microchip question

pkt89

My dog , Bee, has not been microchipped. I have a concern since he has CM and PSOM. Is ther a position that the chip should be put at?
thanks
Kitty

Hi Kitty,
the Microchip should be implanted low down, between the shoulderblades, and not on the back of the neck,otherwise it will interfere will mri scans and obscure the view of the central canal.This is very important if you plan on Mri scanning your dog in the future.
Sins

Hi Kitty,
the Microchip should be implanted low down, between the shoulderblades, and not on the back of the neck,otherwise it will interfere will mri scans and obscure the view of the central canal.This is very important if you plan on Mri scanning your dog in the future.
Sins

Aren't microchips usually placed between the shoulders?

Sorry, I really don't know what's "standard". My vet put them between the shoulders.

Between the shoulder blades is fairly normal, but I think they can also be implanted completely away from the spine if you ask your vet. Being elsewhere might just cause confusion, I suppose, if your dog got lost and someone was using the gadget to look for a microchip - but then I think they scan the whole body anyway, as chips sometimes migrate. The neck/shoulder area is normally used because it's an easy place that doesn't cause much discomfort (which is why shots/vaccinations go in there as well). If, as seems likely, microchipping all dogs becomes mandatory in the UK, the neurologists are going to be cursing!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kitty,
Sins
Thanks
Kitty

Back