Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you brush your dogs teeth?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you brush your dogs teeth?

And do you think it makes a difference? The reason I ask is because our 12 yr old poodle just had to have a lot of dental work, teeth removed cleaning he had to be put under etc. My husband thinks its crazy I decided to do it because the dog is 12, well 12 is not that old for a poodle and his mouth was bothering him. So now I'm husband is all about brushing the dogs teeth because "your never paying that much on him again" (yeah right....wait til I finally buy a cavalier) The dog is VERY easy to work with I cut his hair, and clip his nails (he doesn't put up any fight) so I think I CAN do it but....any tips would be great. I need to wait til his mouth is all healed up first too. Also any other tips of keeping his teeth clean..

Thanks,
    Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

I've never done it successfully buT I know many who do. I've been told the trick is to use liver flavored tooth paste found at pet stores. One person I met said he bought really cheap human tooth brushes. Said his dog showed up in the bathroom every night as soon as he started brushing his own teeth. I think if you start slowly your dog will work with you. Poodles are so smart anyway!

Another option is giving marrow bones once a week. Many people swear by them for teeth cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

We were really lazy about it and by a little over 2 years old Skippy had developed grade 1 dental disease. We got his teeth cleaned when he was under for another procedure, and so with our new "clean slate" I researched teeth cleaning options.

We ended up trying out Tropiclean, which is a seemingly natural gum+teeth gel. No brushing required, you just apply it to the gum line daily, much easier and faster than brushing. So far, so good, but we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    lots and for the last three years and yes it does make

difference and dont forget the link between bad teeth and a bad heart.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there. We started brushing Chloe's teeth for 6, 7 months now (5 times per week on average) and yes it shows! It only took us about a week or so then she will jump next to us sitting pretty whenever she sees us holding her toothbrush. I think all in all it is pretty easy to get them to get used to it so long as you use flavored toothpaste - we use Vibrac poultry flavor and the smalles size pet toothbrush of the same brand. Quite a good way to end the day actually!

--
    Chloe in Albany.

Post Thanks / Like

My vet says that Brooky has the BEST teeth she has ever seen And we brush and use Petz Life Oral Gel too (we use this as "toothpaste" it is AMAZING) http://www.petzlife.com/catalog/oral...eppermint.html

We live in Australia (but I am American) and my vet always says that Brooky has such good teeth because Americans are neurotic about their teeth, ha. But yeah, it helps and it's worth it. Brian is right, heart disease and tooth decay have big links.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, i brush Kokodas teeth. He LOVES it!
    He gets so excited when you tell him 'its timne to brush your teeth!' and get out his toothpaste. His toothpaste is vanilla flavoured and he gets to lick a bit out of the tube as a treat. He loves it.
    I also frequently use the Petzlife oral gel that Brooklyn's Mom uses on Brooky
    He also gets a variety of dental chews and raw bones. His teeth are lovely. It is definitely worth it
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I guess from now on I will be brushing my dogs teeth , after he's all healed up that is. I who hate to have him go thur this again plus nevermind the money (Husband's mad too late lol) He is pretty laid back so I think we won't have any problems doing it. Smart Poodle???? Poor thing I love his dearly but I think he's the dumbest poodle ever. He's just a little special.........but he's my dog.

Thanks Again,
    Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

We brush daily, well he's still getting used to it...we use a paste by Beaphar in liver flavour and use a doggy brush, but will be getting the Petzlife paste when this is used up.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe brushing the teeth helps and I am working with BB to get her use to it. It is difficult to train later in life (not impossible) so start early with the teeth brushing!
    Noelle, B.B., & Tucker