• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do you brush your dogs teeth?

MomObvious

And do you think it makes a difference? The reason I ask is because our 12 yr old poodle just had to have a lot of dental work, teeth removed cleaning he had to be put under etc. My husband thinks its crazy I decided to do it because the dog is 12, well 12 is not that old for a poodle and his mouth was bothering him. So now I'm husband is all about brushing the dogs teeth because "your never paying that much on him again" (yeah right....wait til I finally buy a cavalier:shifty:) The dog is VERY easy to work with I cut his hair, and clip his nails (he doesn't put up any fight) so I think I CAN do it but....any tips would be great. I need to wait til his mouth is all healed up first too. Also any other tips of keeping his teeth clean..

Thanks,
Melissa

I've never done it successfully buT I know many who do. I've been told the trick is to use liver flavored tooth paste found at pet stores. One person I met said he bought really cheap human tooth brushes. Said his dog showed up in the bathroom every night as soon as he started brushing his own teeth. I think if you start slowly your dog will work with you. Poodles are so smart anyway!

Another option is giving marrow bones once a week. Many people swear by them for teeth cleaning.

We were really lazy about it and by a little over 2 years old Skippy had developed grade 1 dental disease. We got his teeth cleaned when he was under for another procedure, and so with our new "clean slate" I researched teeth cleaning options.

We ended up trying out Tropiclean, which is a seemingly natural gum+teeth gel. No brushing required, you just apply it to the gum line daily, much easier and faster than brushing. So far, so good, but we'll see.

Hi
lots and for the last three years and yes it does make

difference and dont forget the link between bad teeth and a bad heart.

Hi there. We started brushing Chloe's teeth for 6, 7 months now (5 times per week on average) and yes it shows! It only took us about a week or so then she will jump next to us sitting pretty whenever she sees us holding her toothbrush. I think all in all it is pretty easy to get them to get used to it so long as you use flavored toothpaste - we use Vibrac poultry flavor and the smalles size pet toothbrush of the same brand. Quite a good way to end the day actually!

--
Chloe in Albany.

My vet says that Brooky has the BEST teeth she has ever seen :) And we brush and use Petz Life Oral Gel too (we use this as "toothpaste" it is AMAZING) http://www.petzlife.com/catalog/oral-care-products/oral-care-gel-peppermint.html

We live in Australia (but I am American) and my vet always says that Brooky has such good teeth because Americans are neurotic about their teeth, ha. But yeah, it helps and it's worth it. Brian is right, heart disease and tooth decay have big links.

yes, i brush Kokodas teeth. He LOVES it!
He gets so excited when you tell him 'its timne to brush your teeth!' and get out his toothpaste. His toothpaste is vanilla flavoured and he gets to lick a bit out of the tube as a treat. He loves it.
I also frequently use the Petzlife oral gel that Brooklyn's Mom uses on Brooky :)
He also gets a variety of dental chews and raw bones. His teeth are lovely. It is definitely worth it :)

Thanks all. I guess from now on I will be brushing my dogs teeth , after he's all healed up that is. I who hate to have him go thur this again plus nevermind the money (Husband's mad too late lol) He is pretty laid back so I think we won't have any problems doing it. Smart Poodle???? Poor thing I love his dearly but I think he's the dumbest poodle ever. He's just a little special.........but he's my dog.

Thanks Again,
Melissa

We brush daily, well he's still getting used to it...we use a paste by Beaphar in liver flavour and use a doggy brush, but will be getting the Petzlife paste when this is used up.

I believe brushing the teeth helps and I am working with BB to get her use to it. It is difficult to train later in life (not impossible) so start early with the teeth brushing!

Oliver has had a Denta stick everyday of his life pretty much but I feel inspired... I'm going to try and brush his teeth too. Wish me luck! :)

Hi
Dont forget Petzlife ,you get a discount and Rupert's Fund get 5% .
If you do buy Petzlife use the discount code of CAV12 and you get 10% off
and RF get 5%

http://www.petzlife.co.uk/

I have a photo somewhere of all the stuff I use on my four I will dig it out and post
it again ,it takes me about 30-40 mins every night and the girls love it .
Found them ,so here we go .

Excuse Daisy she gets a bit impatient .I brush each 4 times ,use 2 different sprays and 2 different chews

then later on at night I give them a chunk of raw turnip and then carrot and the turnip is large enough to

sink their teeth into . Clean teeth help to give a healthy heart ,there is a proven link between bad teeth and

a bad heart .

6287280908_c7dd2a57bb_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6287293240_e63b11959b_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My dogs LOVE having their teeth brushed.

We use the Enzymatic CET Beef flavored toothpaste and they love it. When the toothbrushes come out they compete to go first!

That said, I have not always been great about brushing their teeth, but since I got a grooming table it is much much easier. I also give them CET HEXtra treats on days we don't brush.

Hi
Dont forget Petzlife ,you get a discount and Rupert's Fund get 5% .
If you do buy Petzlife use the discount code of CAV12 and you get 10% off
and RF get 5%

http://www.petzlife.co.uk/

I have a photo somewhere of all the stuff I use on my four I will dig it out and post
it again ,it takes me about 30-40 mins every night and the girls love it .
Found them ,so here we go .

Excuse Daisy she gets a bit impatient .I brush each 4 times ,use 2 different sprays and 2 different chews

then later on at night I give them a chunk of raw turnip and then carrot and the turnip is large enough to

sink their teeth into . Clean teeth help to give a healthy heart ,there is a proven link between bad teeth and

a bad heart .

6287280908_c7dd2a57bb_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6287293240_e63b11959b_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gee I think maybe you were a dog in another life any wished you had clean teeth (darn missing thumbs) haha. I called the vet today she said my Eddie should be healed enought to give in a try I ordered the petzlife as soon as it arrives we give it a whirl. I have been checking out his mouth a bunch lately just to see how much he'll let me see even while healing he's so good about it I doing see us having a problem. Remember he is 12 so........ Thanks again for the replies for now and my future dogs.

Melissa

Back