• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

One more question about timing of adding a second cav to our family

3kids1cav

Bentley is 10 months old, I was thinking I would want a second in two years give or take, when my 3 year old son is 5 and in school all day, since he can be a handful. But My 9 year old daughter is doing an easy/report/speech project on cavaliers for school, and I have been doing a ton of research with her (I am learning more and more, and I thought I knew it all when it came to the breed) Anyways, I was reading the part about cavaliers getting lonely, and how if you have to work consider having a second cav.

I have to go back to work part time when my 3 year old is in school (fall 2014) I will be out of the house for 5 hrs straight (8 am to 1 pm) the plan was to get home, walk Bentley for an hr, and then get in the car and pick up the kids. This will be 4 days a week most likely. But after reading this and thinking about how attached Bentley is to me, I wonder if I should consider getting another cav next spring or the following fall, so that the new cavalier will be over a year when I have to go back to work, and it won't be too long (as I think that is too long for a puppy to be home alone in the crate)

Would it be ok to wait the two years and have a roughly 6 month old pup when I Go back to work? or should I get a cav earlier, so Bentley has a companion for when he is with out his human family? What timing worked for the rest of you multiple cav owners?

Last edited:
It is better to wait the two years. Adding an extra dog when you're already busy means less attention for the new puppy. And more frustration with training.

Guinness was an only dog until Thistle showed up. He was very happy, and loved everything about his life, even though I work full time. He's happy now too, but he would never have "needed" another dog if she hadn't arrived.

I had a dumb typing moment.. sheesh.. I meant to say "next spring or the following fall" NO way am I ready for another cav right this second :shock: the hands are full enough.

So maybe next summer (not this summer) Bentley's birthday is in June.. so next summer he will be 2 then I go back to work in the fall.. I have been researching breeders that sell retired dogs too, But I would prefire an older puppy if possible, Bentley was 14 weeks when we brought him home and that was young enough for me. over 4 months is what I prefire.

I think an adult dog might be your best option. Personally, I would think about a rescue. Say you get this dog in late spring early summer before the fall you have to return to work. In my experence with rescue dogs (not cavaliers) most retrain to your household quickly. Most have been fosteredwith other dogs and the foster family will know the dog at least as far as housetraining, good with children and health problems etc. If you start looking now with rescue they can match the perfect dog too your famliy but it might take awhile and the timing might be a bit off but give it a try. I know you are thinging a cavalier but maybe consider another fav small breed, there are sooo many 8+ year old dogs out there that nobody wants, they need loving homes too.
You can still get a new puppy when your son turns 5 dogs are like kids after 2 why not 3 (small dogs only I won't want 3 Great Danes to feed) lol I have 3 kids as well.

Melissa

Melissa, I have to hang my head in shame and admit that I am a bit of a breedist, I really just love Cavaliers that much more than other breeds, the long drapey fur, those eyes, and the fact that my doggie is always stuck to my side like glue, I love everything about them. The other breed I love are golden retrievers, but our house is too small for a larger breed at this point. Cavaliers just bring me so much joy. Other dogs are nice but it just has never felt right, they are nice as other people's dogs but not as mine. I really like the idea of getting an older dog from a breeder who is being retired, a good breeder so I know she or he will have many years of health ahead of them. I check rescue all the time, but I have yet to find in our region that is healthy, or good with kids, or cats, there is always one thing or another that would not make a good fit for our home. With three kids, 1 cav and two cats, it has to be good with all three.

I hear ya no shame......have you thought about daycare for your cava??? Or a super nice older retired person in the neighborhood, we have a great retired couple next door who have watched our dogs during the day before. Just a thought. My husband takes our poodle to work with him everyday not sure if its a option for you???? If I got a cavalier right now I would be taking it to work with me. But I own the business so............plus this may not even be an issue. After all you have plenty of time to train you little one to be alone and be fine. 6 hrs is really that long if your talking an adult dog (not a pup). Sometimes when our poodle must stay home like 7 hrs hes fine but he's a poodle and 12 yrs old.
I'm also with ya, I have 3 kids, a fulltime job (working with kids+ trying to sell the business) we Mom's just wear so many hats.

Melissa

I hear ya no shame......have you thought about daycare for your cava??? Or a super nice older retired person in the neighborhood, we have a great retired couple next door who have watched our dogs during the day before. Just a thought. My husband takes our poodle to work with him everyday not sure if its a option for you???? If I got a cavalier right now I would be taking it to work with me. But I own the business so............plus this may not even be an issue. After all you have plenty of time to train you little one to be alone and be fine. 6 hrs is really that long if your talking an adult dog (not a pup). Sometimes when our poodle must stay home like 7 hrs hes fine but he's a poodle and 12 yrs old.
I'm also with ya, I have 3 kids, a fulltime job (working with kids+ trying to sell the business) we Mom's just wear so many hats.

Melissa
When I start my job hunt in the summer, the first places I am going to look for work are doggie day cares and kennels and groomers, (our petco is looking for a dog bather now) so maybe places like that would let Bentley come hang out. I am not a fan of our doggie day cares potty system, I fear it might confuse Bentley as he is particular about his potty area. (must have grass) and they have a potty room. but he could learn I am sure. I would surely consider it for him a couple of the days I work. I haven't worked in years, and I have to get moving on the collage funds for the kids, so once my son is in school all day I have to get working again and put all the money in savings, I am not looking to go back into my old profession (Ballet, which I have not done in 9 years, and I do not have the build or anything close to it anymore either haha) So I would like to find something working with animals, then retail of some sort if that doesn't pan out.

As long as your Cavalier has plenty of your attention and company when you are around,I have never found that they mind being an only dog - in fact, I think they rather like having all your attention. I had 3 singletons before Oliver, and he was on his own for 7 years before I got a second Cavalier for the first time - an 18-month-old rescue. Oliver and Aled don't seem to do anything when I'm not there - they don't play or even interact much together, they just sleep. Aled is quite dependent on Oliver, but even he can happily be left on his own if I have to take Oliver out with me to the vets or on Pets as Therapy business. So get a second Cavalier because you really want one and have time for two, and can set up some way of not leaving a puppy shut in for 5 hours - not simply because you think Bentley needs company.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Do you think a cavalier is ok alone for 5 hrs at age 2 and some months? I won't ahve to do it till he is 2. Then when I am around I would of course shower him with attention and fun.

Hi,

My puppy, Sonny is 10 months old and he is left alone for about 4 1/2 hours, 4 days a week. We currently crate him when we are not home, but we are hoping after he turns 1 to get an exercise pen to make more space for him. He has had no problems being left for this amount of time. I just make sure to walk him as soon as I get home. Hope this helps!:)

Hi,

My puppy, Sonny is 10 months old and he is left alone for about 4 1/2 hours, 4 days a week. We currently crate him when we are not home, but we are hoping after he turns 1 to get an exercise pen to make more space for him. He has had no problems being left for this amount of time. I just make sure to walk him as soon as I get home. Hope this helps!:)
yeay! thanks that really helps, Bentley has been left for 5 hrs like twice in his life and it was only recently when we got stuck in traffic and didn't make it home in 4 hrs. or something of that sort.I hope also that when he is 2 years old I can just pen him off instead of crating him. He has a safe area that I pen off already but his crate is in there and it leads to the back door, he has been able to dig up the carpet and I am afraid of him eating a string, so If I am not here I crate him (we are fixing it this week actually) But I had a cat die after he some how got ahold of a string and ate it, years ago, and it was devastating. I freak out about strings now. Once it is fixed I might actually try to pen him once or twice for quick trips out and see how it goes.. instead of crate. It has been 5 months since he had an accident.

Back