Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosie nd Her Disc (again )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    A question please ,when at the Vets with Rosie yesterday I mentioned Cartrophen injections but I thought he said to me they were mainly
    of benefit for pulled ligaments or the like and not disc problems or maybe I wasn't paying atention or misheard him .Any houghts pls .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that Rosie is having further problems Once they are on pain relief obviously they feel much better and don't know that it is better for them to keep quiet and not run around, we have to make those decisions for them. Jumping off the bed and running down stairs are really not going to help Rosie - but accidents happen. If you are finding it difficult then keep her on a harness and short lead and make sure she is attached to you so she can't jump down. Otherwise obviously sensible use of a crate or pen will help.

Once she is through this episode [hopefully it is just a flare up and won't need further treatment] then she can still enjoy a good quality of life, you will just need to restrict her from certain activities that really strain the discs. Could you put baby gates up on the stairs? These are really useful for management. We also have one on the sitting room door so that they can't just run through the kitchen and up the garden when the door is open

You may find you can still play ball but limit the repetitions - the sudden stop/start can be very strenuous on the dog - we have had this issue with dogs with CM/SM. You can also roll the ball across the ground rather than flinging it to slow down the stop.

It is surely far better to have to alter their life style a bit than face surgery?

Cartrophen Vet is a leading treatment for arthritis (also known as degenerative joint disease or DJD) and related musculoskeletal disorders which acts on the underlying disease processes that result in pain and lameness. Cartrophen Vet is a disease modifying osteoarthritis drug (DMOAD) and importantly, it helps maintain joint health, including preserving joint cartilage that is damaged by the arthritic process.

from http://www.cartrophen.com/

So aimed at arthritis rather than disc disease.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian,

How is Rosie feeling today?
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Joyce

She seems fine and just off to get her now and then to the Vets ,tks for asking .
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    We saw Mr Shepherd who checked her over especially all along her spine with prods ,pinches and even a light jab with a pair
    of scissors and he was happy her nerves were twitching away when they should and then checked how quick and how correctly she
    picked her feet up when he stood her on a sheet of plastic then gently pulled it away from under her .Then examined and stretched
    her back legs ,checked her pataellas bent her feet back and watched them flip back to normal and then declared shes fine keep her rested with
    no jumping or climbing for another week and she will be back to normal and even said a few gentle ball games in a couple of weeks .

From a nice quiet enjoyable game of ball on a saturday afternoon then the next minute panic stations and you are worrried stiff and now
    everything is fine ,the ups and downs ,the highs and lows and the joys of Cavaliers ,but wouldn't be without a single hair on her body.
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to read she is doing better Brian, lets hope rest is all she will need.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Good news Brian I know how you feel it was the same for us that morning with Gus he couldn't stand and I thought the worst and was so upset, now he is fine. It really is highs and lows!
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

and even a light jab with a pair
    of scissors

I am sorry for the language but but WTF??????

I have NEVER heard of any vet ever doing anything like this. And find it appalling.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello

After a car crash when I needed plates inserting into my right arm after it broken in three places that was all done
    under local anestheic and the consultant surgeon ,who was a good friend ,used similar pointed implements to ensure my
    arm was dead after injecting anethetics into and around my right shoulder, before he started cutting and drilling .
    And of course I also wanted to ensure I had no feeling there before he started .

My Vet was looking to make sure there was a reaction as he was concerned about paralysis and so he lightly prodded Rosie ,with the nearest sharp pointed thing to hand the scissors, and the force used was sufficient for Rosie's back to react with a light twitch and nothing else. He has been a Vet for over 30 years and is an MA Vet MB MRCVS . I am not a Vet my expertise is Timber and I am an also an animal lover and especially so of Cavaliers so I am not likely to stand there and witness anything which may hurt my little girl without a strong reaction from myself ,so as I was there I did not find it appalling ,if I had I would of stopped him.

Kind Regards

Brian
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that Rosie is on the road to recovery and will soon be playing her favorite game of ball once again.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart