• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sophie is vomiting

waldor

Our Sophie woke us up during the night after she had vomited that yellow, foamy stuff that I think is bile related. No undigested food. After the second episode during the night, I gave her some Pepto-Bismol. An hour and a half later, she vomited again, more of the yellow bile mixed with pink Pepto-Bismol.
She's a bit frightened and clingy, but otherwise appears okay, wanting walkies, and no other symptoms.

Our Shih Tzu often vomited this yellow stuff, usually only one time per episode, and would eat a meal immediately after and be fine.
Sophie has absolutely no interest in food, not even her favorites. We cannot think of anything improper that she might have ingested. Any ideas?

Might just be a digestive upset - but keep an eye on her, they can dehydrate very quickly. Will she take a little water?

I find when mine are like this that I need to get them to eat something and then they feel better - something bland like a little boiled chicken or white fish maybe? Ideally with a dessert spoon of plain probiotic yogurt mixed in - or even just that on it's own.

If you are worried I would telephone the vet - they may be able to suggest something.

Thanks Nicki. I've been watching her for dehydration because it can happen so fast.She just now drank some water, and vomited a bit of it back up within ten minutes. I was thinking plain fat-free yogurt might be nice, if she'll try it. She has turned her nose up at kibble, which she loves, and a rice cake (her other favorite). I may phone the emergency vet clinic today, even though she has no other symptoms, and we will definitely take her in tomorrow if she's no better.

If she's vomiting up water, I would be inclined to err on the side of caution and take her in to the emergency vet today and at the least calling. I'm sorry she's not feeling well- it's so hard when they can't tell us what's wrong.

I called the Emergency Clinic a half-hour ago and they prefer to err on the cautious side. So, I figured I would take her in after my husband gets home.

Because she smells so awful (from vomit on her chin, ears), I gave her a quick bath & dry. Bless her heart, I could hear her stomach growling! After the bath, she usually gets a treat for behaving well in the bath. (blackmail!) She accepted some natural organic type Cheerio's. This is a very good sign. So I will give her six at a time, every fifteen minutes, and see how it goes. Perhaps she lost her appetite because she smelled so awful and has it back now that she smells better. And now she's looking out the front window, woofing at passersby. If she stops eating, she'll definitely go to the EC today.
Thank you for all your ideas.

Update - Sophie has made a full recovery, and we are very relieved! So much can go wrong with Cavaliers, and so quickly, that the smallest thing out of the norm will worry me.

Glad to hear she is doing well. You might want to keep her on a bland diet for a couple days to be on the safe side. If she's been vomiting she may have tender innards. My vet recommends boiled rice with cottage cheese but I usually give meat-based baby food with rice. Both dogs eat it up.

Back