• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sophie is better, but other dogs in our area are vomiting bile! It's a mystery

waldor

Sophie has made full recovery, thank goodness. She ate a normal breakfast and is looking for her supper right now.

In talking with my neighbors, two other dogs on our street woke their owners up in the wee hours of Sunday (yesterday) morning with vomiting bile, at the same time Sophie did! One, a Scottish terrier, is recovered by today, like Sophie. That neighbor found some dried up bile barf in another room, and they don't know if her other Scottie did that earlier in the week.

The other dog, my next-door neighbor's dog (a Bichon), went into Emergency Clinic yesterday afternoon and spent today at her regular veterinarian today, on IV fluids. The tests and X-ray all show nothing. The Bichon has started diarrhea late this afternoon, 36 hours after the onset of bile vomiting. She is very sick.

Another neighbor's dog had the foamy bile vomiting a week ago, was quite uncomfortable, but recovered on its own.

None of these dogs run loose, all are on leashes, and none have had physical contact with each other. The Bichon next door is not a ground hoover like Sophie, and never noses around in the grass or eats things on the ground.

Today I talked with a friend who lives four or five miles away, and she told me that her daughter's small (5-lb) dog vomited bile a week ago.

The Bichon owner (next door) told me that her vet receptionist said they've been getting an unusually large number of phone calls from people whose dogs are vomiting this yellow foamy bile stuff, and they are all from our city. Unfortunately, they do not know in which part of the city these dogs live, as they've only gotten calls and very few, if any (except the Bichon next door) have had to come into the veterinary.

This is all very odd. What on earth can be going on?

Did you hear about some concerns with pet food again? I only caught the end of it on the news, and haven't had the chance to google.

I know Diamond, which makes a lot of different foods, stopped shipping out of one of their Southern plants. They didn't do a recall, but it was stuff out of one of the Carolna plants.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this so it doesn't happen again.

I have not heard about the pet food problems. I have no clue what the other dogs are eating. Except for the dog next door, they seem to recover in 24 hours or less. Sophie is fed raw, which is not the norm, and I don't know what the other dogs are fed.

Sounds like something is going on, but that is really weird, I have never heard of it being due to bacteria or viruses which obviously would spread through contact with the ground etc.

It's a shame the vets haven't been recording the area - hopefully they are doing so now? That would help to know if perhaps the council have sprayed something on the local grass that has affected them.

I do hope the Bichon will be ok - thank goodness Sophie is fully recovered.

Sadly we have situations in the UK where horrid people put out poisoned food or antifreeze but this would give different symptoms.

Back