• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spay Question for BB

BeBe

I have been looking through the past posts on spay procedures and recovery times but do not see something that fits our situation...

BB was just spayed today and every time she moves or if I softly pet her back she whines. She received a morphine shot before coming home and then had 1/2 a Rimadyl tablet tonight. Is the whining normal or is her pain level unusual?

Outside of that she seems to be doing well - just sleeping a lot and wound looks normal.

I would give it a day, and if it's worse call your vet. Most likely she'll bounce back in no time though.

Chloe was spayed last month. When I brought her home, I had a pain pill (sorry - I don't remember what drug it was) that I had to give her every 12 hours. We came home Thursday evening and the pain pill started then, and I think it lasted through Saturday or maybe Sunday. She then had antibiotics for about 10 days that she took twice a day as well. She didn't wince at all and was her cheery self by Friday afternoon. I had to keep her confined so she wouldn't run around.

Do you have ongoing pain pills for BB?

Good to hear the first day was rough all around; she does have some pain pills to give every 12 hours. I have her in the crate tonight instead of the bed and she is sleeping well also went potty one time. I will see how she is in the morning, thanks!

Sure - I was so worried and nervous before her spaying, but she did just fine and now, I'd never know she had the surgery. Even her scar is barely noticeable already! I'm sure BB will be just fine too. :)

An update on BB... as you all said she is doing fine today and I am having a challenge keeping her still. There has been no yelping or whimpering and her pain pills seem to be keeping her under control. Thanks to everyone for the advice - it helped me sleep better last night!

Is it usual practice to administer pain medication for both males and females? I only ask as we didn't receive anything after Jessie was desexed.
He was 4 months old at the time and had a large hernia removed as well. He's a trooper and within around 2 or so hours, was gently playing.
Sounds like the medication makes them fairly groggy for longer.

That's awesome that she's doing so well. Big hugs.

It seemed like it was the "norm" to give pain meds for the spay procedure. She is still yelping a little bit if she moves wrong or we pick her up wrong otherwise she is doing well and it is difficult to keep her quite. However, it did not seem like a out of the usual request on the pain meds and was not a request by me - not sure on the male procedure? The meds do not make her groggy at all - odd because I thought the same as you that it would make her groggy but she does not show any effect!

Back