Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope this is the right place but Bentleys Breeder is under investigation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope this is the right place but Bentleys Breeder is under investigation

I am sick over this, I just held him and cried when I found out. She has decived a lot of people it sounds like.. I am really scared for Bentley. I guess one of his fathers parents is from a puppy mill (his grandfather) an amish puppy mill in PA. I am waiting to hear what kinds of health problems others have with their dogs, so far I have only seen reports of ear infections often. Bentley so far has not had any.

All I can do is love him but I am so afraid I did tons of homework before choosing this breeder, she was so into breeding to better the breed. and she told me about the health clerances and mri's, I think these might have been fakes, according to what I am hearing. If they find out this is all true she will get in trouble but I just didn't need to hear this today. I am not telling my husband he will be so upset.

Post Thanks / Like

someone responded to the info saying how "oh well don't get a dog till you have a list of breeder and meet the dogs and see the place.. I DID all of that, all of us who bought cavs from her did. She even checked our vet for referrals, ect.. maybe she never did.. and just said she did. I should ask them.

Post Thanks / Like

So Sorry for this news but you should remember we all do what we think is right at the time with the information we have. Please don't feel guilty, he loves you no matter what and thats all he will care about xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know you are scared, but try not to worry too much and just enjoy Bentley.

My Sparky is from a puppy mill that was raided. I would never purchase a dog from a puppy mill, but he is a rescue from one. I purchased insurance for him when I got him, because as you know, no testing happens for parents of puppy mill dogs. That said, keep in mind all puppy mill dogs don't end up with horrible diseases and some dogs from good breeders do, despite the breeder's dedication to producing healthy puppies. Of course though we'd all prefer a good breeder who wants to better our breed rather than a miller who just wants to make money.

Again, I know you would have preferred to hear glowing reviews of Bentley's breeder, but apparently she deceived you & many others. It'll be okay.

BTW, my Sparky (knock on wood) is healthy. He's nearly 5, still heart clear, no SM. An ear infection once every couple years, but he has not been the health horror story I imagined in my head.

Just love Bentely and try not to worry too much.
    Last edited by Lani; 1st May 2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Lani is right. You thought you done the best research but there are always people out there that are good in deceiving people. Don’t start worrying about Bentlys health before anything is even wrong with him. You are aware of MVD & SM and their symptoms so at least you are not in the dark like so many other poor owners. Just get the best health cover for Bently you can afford at least if anything happens you know you can give him the best care money can buy.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand your shock and anger.However,none of this is your fault.
    You did everything right,and you bought a puppy with the best of intentions and he's loved and cherished.
    The world is sadly so full of people who have no morals or scruples.
    I agree with Sabby,get the best insurance policy you can..its good that there are no horror stories emerging from her premises.
    Bentley may be absolutely fine,there are very many cavaliers who live long healthy lives,regardless of their origins.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I just feel so dumb, like how could I have been fooled. I had this bad feeling the past couple of days, it started when I was reading a study on SM.. (I am going to get Bentley a referal for a CT scan after his next vet apt) I do not think he has it but I constantly am freaking out every time he gets an itch. I read about it before getting a cav But once you have one and you are so attached to them, when you read a new study that you hadn't read before it bothers you a lot more than it did before you fell in love with this beautiful creature. So I was feeling bad about that, then I read this new info on the breeder and I just started to cry, Sweet Bentley just sat down on my lap and put his head on my chest and his paw on my arm as if to try to say "I'm ok mom, don't cry" Augh he is so sweet. I am going to just wait and see what the investigation shows, and I am going to have words for the breeder (not that it really will do anything) if it is the worst case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The problem isn't that you were fooled, because any of us can be -- it is hard to know what to ask about and what to see, even for longtime cavalier owners --but that a breeder could possibly be this deceptive and cruel. You were the victim, and not at fault.

I also have a mix of rescue/puppy far cavaliers and show breeder cavaliers. A puppy farm cavalier is generally a higher risk dog healthwise because it is unlikely a breeder ever did any testing and they tend to get a poor start in life. But the most prominent show breeder, with a line of champion dogs, can have equally poor breeding practice (and some of them forge MRI and heart scans too -- we have had a case here of a buyer encountering this ).

The difference is not so much between puppy farm or BYB dogs and show breeder dogs, but of properly testing, protocol-using breeders and those who do not. The risk factor is pretty much equal between show breeders and puppy farmers if they don't use health testing and protocols. My most affected SM dog was from a (non testing) show breeder, though I also have a pound rescue cavalier and puppy farm ex-breeder cavalier with milder SM. I have had two show breeder dogs with heart murmurs by age 6 and 7, and a heart-clear show breeder dog going on 9 and two rescue dogs heart clear at 6 and 7.

I'd save all correspondence with this breeder (paper or email) and also, sit down and write down any statements she made that could have been untrue, and the format of the discussion (eg, phone) and the date or week f you can recall.

On a separate note, a CT scan is useless for diagnosing SM -- only an MRI will show syrinxes, and these are very costly (generally well over $1000 in the US for scan and interpretation, more again for treatment and care). I would not recommend getting an MRI unless you are advised to, on the basis of symptoms, by a neurologist. By age 5 or so, about half of all cavaliers will show a syrinx on MRI so the issue is really whether you have a reason to scan -- telltale symptoms on clinical exam by a neurologist, generally. Or in other words -- I would scan for diagnosis to treat a symptomatic cavalier but would not advise scanning just to scan, especially a young dog as younger dogs are far less likely to show a syrinx and this is a progressive disease. As I advised elsewhere, I would wait and see if you see enough to warrant a referral to a neurologist after a vet has checked for likely alternative causes for any potential SM symptoms.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    The problem isn't that you were fooled, because any of us can be -- it is hard to know what to ask about and what to see, even for longtime cavalier owners --but that a breeder could possibly be this deceptive and cruel. You were the victim, and not at fault.

I also have a mix of rescue/puppy far cavaliers and show breeder cavaliers. A puppy farm cavalier is generally a higher risk dog healthwise because it is unlikely a breeder ever did any testing and they tend to get a poor start in life. But the most prominent show breeder, with a line of champion dogs, can have equally poor breeding practice (and some of them forge MRI and heart scans too -- we have had a case here of a buyer encountering this ).

The difference is not so much between puppy farm or BYB dogs and show breeder dogs, but of properly testing, protocol-using breeders and those who do not. The risk factor is pretty much equal between show breeders and puppy farmers if they don't use health testing and protocols. My most affected SM dog was from a (non testing) show breeder, though I also have a pound rescue cavalier and puppy farm ex-breeder cavalier with milder SM. I have had two show breeder dogs with heart murmurs by age 6 and 7, and a heart-clear show breeder dog going on 9 and two rescue dogs heart clear at 6 and 7.

I'd save all correspondence with this breeder (paper or email) and also, sit down and write down any statements she made that could have been untrue, and the format of the discussion (eg, phone) and the date or week f you can recall.

On a separate note, a CT scan is useless for diagnosing SM -- only an MRI will show syrinxes, and these are very costly (generally well over $1000 in the US for scan and interpretation, more again for treatment and care). I would not recommend getting an MRI unless you are advised to, on the basis of symptoms, by a neurologist. By age 5 or so, about half of all cavaliers will show a syrinx on MRI so the issue is really whether you have a reason to scan -- telltale symptoms on clinical exam by a neurologist, generally. Or in other words -- I would scan for diagnosis to treat a symptomatic cavalier but would not advise scanning just to scan, especially a young dog as younger dogs are far less likely to show a syrinx and this is a progressive disease. As I advised elsewhere, I would wait and see if you see enough to warrant a referral to a neurologist after a vet has checked for likely alternative causes for any potential SM symptoms.
    thank you! I really really appreciate this response. I have pet insurance for Bentley but I would hate to needlessly spend the 1000 on an mri and barely get refunded (they hardly refund us at all) I am going to look into different insurances We have VPI for Bentley, in the usa.. one of the higher up the ladder ones. I was told to have it for the first year, but I am going to keep it now for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    he's loved and cherished.

Sins
    This! No matter where Bentley came from or what health issues that may come up when ever they do, I wouldn't trade him for anything, He has brought so much happiness to not just me but the whole family. We all just adore him and he is the type of pup that appreciates everything you do, he will thank me after our walk with kisses he is just so sweet. He is surely loved and cherished!