• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Griffons and King Charles Spaniels

Kate H

Along with last week's Our Dogs, my kind friend who passes her copies on to me included a copy of Dog World from back in February, and in the Griffon breed notes there was an intriguing piece of information. Although not nearly as widespread as in Cavaliers, Griffons are the other toy breed most affected by CM/SM. The breed notes were discussing the occasional occurrence of long silky coats in Griffons instead of their normal short quite harsh coat. The long coats can't be shown, so are sold as pets. The notes said: 'It is thought that the long coat goes back to the King Charles ancestor in the Griffon pedigree and as it is a recessive gene the gene needs to be present in both mother and father.' I would never have guessed that the creation of the modern Griffon included the King Charles Spaniel - when I checked on Wikipedia,this apparently took place in the 19th century. So here we have two toy breeds affected by CM/SM with a common ancestor in the late nineteenth-century King Charles Spaniel (a breed which is also affected by CM/SM). I don't suppose it has ever occurred to anyone to monitor these long-haired Griffons to find out if any of them developed CM/SM. But I found this information fascinating! It sounds as if the CM/SM gene could have come into both breeds very much earlier than one might think - right from the beginning of Cavaliers as a modern breed, because they evolved from the King Charles Spaniel.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks for the info. It would be good if they would follow the long hairs to see what happens....but because they aren't part of the show ring, they will probably ignored.

Who would have known that the Griffons come out of the Charlies.

Thanks for the info. It would be good if they would follow the long hairs to see what happens....but because they aren't part of the show ring, they will probably ignored.

Who would have known that the Griffons come out of the Charlies.

I have an early photo of an actress holding a griffon with floppy spaniel ears.
They also inherited the fused toes and kinked tails from charlies.

I'm not sure the longhaired griffons would be any more prone to CM than other coat types.

There is mention in one of my charlie books from about 1900 of old dogs developing a scratching habit , so its probably been around for a very long time

Back