Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anal gland absess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anal gland absess

Hi,
    My sister has a Tri colour cavalier called Toby - 2 years old and he was doing this funny walk rubbing his bum on the carpet and unfortunately it's one of the things I have never heard of since being a cavalier owner.

Searching on here now, I have read a number of posts and so it is obviously very common with this breed.

Yesterday she came home and there was blood all over the floor and following an emergency trip to the vet, Amy learnt that it was an absess that had burst in one of his anal glands. The poor thing was in so much pain after and now has antibiotics and pain killers. Amy can't understand why she didn't pick up that something was wrong before. IS the bum rubbing the sign of them having this problem?

Our vet has never mentioned this to us with our dogs. Is expressing the glands a procedure that should be done regularly. ( I don't plan on doing it myself but I will book vets appointments regularly if needed). How often would a dog need this doing do you think?
    Emma and Renco Harvey & Bella's mum & dad

Post Thanks / Like

Our Chester suffers with full anal sacs and only just had them cleaned at the Vets. I am not sure of all the technical bits but I dont think dogs use these as they would if there were wild so they tend to get full up. Our Vet cleans Chesters every 3 months when we go back to get his worming tablet. She said anymore than that and he would need them removed. Apparently it is another common problem with this gorgeous breed.

I think scooting is a sign of them being full but not necessisarily just that, I sometimes think Chester does it when he has an itch he cant quite get too! I think scooting is pretty common with Cavs' as well.

I hope Toby is starting to feel better.
    Kelly, Mum to Chester

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emma n Renco View Post
    Hi,
    Amy can't understand why she didn't pick up that something was wrong before. IS the bum rubbing the sign of them having this problem?

Our vet has never mentioned this to us with our dogs. Is expressing the glands a procedure that should be done regularly. ( I don't plan on doing it myself but I will book vets appointments regularly if needed). How often would a dog need this doing do you think?
    They can scoot their bottoms for all kinds of reasons, including using the carpet as toilet paper. However, they can have an anal gland problem without showing any symptoms. The first I knew of Izzy's was when I noticed a spot of blood on the hearth whose slates he had been lying touching. When I looked closer he had a hole, with blood, that I thought was the result of piercing by a nail. Monty had one a few months ago and , again the only way I found out was when I noticed some blood on the floor. Due to his age, his hasn't helaed normally and has left an external opening, but it doesn't bother him now or then, when he didn't appear to have any discomfort.

Izzy was the only one with just blocked glands more than once and I could tell, because on these occasions he would refuse to jump on the bed and would lurk under the dining table, out of reach. His were easy to empty (not all are) so I dealt with them myself. On the one occasion that Joly had trouble, I had to use the vet, as Joly's aren't so easy to empty.

Emptying should only be done when necessary.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Sally's had her's emptied once but we're not sure if that was the problem at the time. She suddenly went off her food and was miserable and developed a horrible smell. We took her to the vet and they emptied her glands and prescribed antibiotics in case she had an infection. She was bathed the next day and then all was well again. no more problems. I have heard that feeding dried food and adding a little bran to the diet can firm up the poops and prevent anal sacs blocking.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Barbara, the first I knew of Basil's burst abscess was when the groomer spotted it - how mad a momma am I !!! He never made a peep the poor little lad, yet a friend of mine who has 2 cavvies was panic stricken one Sunday night when one of her boys was in incredible pain and had a large swelling at his back end. The abscess burst whilst she appling hot compresses - yuk the mess horrendous! But the dog seemed to be a lot more comfortable. He was put on antibiotics to clear mop up the infection.

I empty my gang's anal glands - not a nice job but someone has to do it lol
    Bev and the Gang

Post Thanks / Like

Bev, I honestly don't think some have any pain. Monty was a real baby when he had an ear infection and wouldn't let the vet touch even his head, but he happily let them poke at his 'hole'; not a twitch.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you like Barbara, but yes I agree - Basil squealed like I don't know what when he was microchipped (not a peep out of the others) yet breezed through an anal gland abscess!
    Bev and the Gang

Post Thanks / Like

Touch wood Ive not had any anal abcesses with mine, althought Cassie had an awful smell like rotting meat yuk!!! from that region. I took her to the vets and he said its a bug that usually is found on 'rotting meat' hence the smell, he syringed saline into her bot, as he said it usually did the trick, and it did. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Ive since learnt how to empty their anal glands myself.
    Karen and the gang

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs

Post Thanks / Like

I have definately heard of anal glands abscessing in Cavaliers before, but I haven't had any trouble with mine.

My vet's philosophy on anal gland emptying is: If it's not broken, don't fix it! ~ in other words, as long as we continue to stay problem free, she is not going to touch them.

I've also heard that typically once you start expressing anal glands, you have to continue to do it.. also that anybody not specifically trained to do it should, because it can create a lot of problems.

Kosmo rubs his bum on the ground a lot, but I think it's because he likes to use my floor as toilet paper . . Dogs..!!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Pippin had this problem last july and I didn't notice a thing until it burst...even then he didn't complain and I just noticed blood on my top when I lifted him up! My vet told me to feed him veg to bulk him up as he doesn't like emptying them too often. I got them done in september and then again last week when he was in for something else,the vet said they weren't too bad at all.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)