• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vestibular syndrome - very scary

MishathePooh

Misha just started being unable to walk or use his back legs. His eyes were moving rapidly side-to-side (nystagmus) and his whole body was curled. We thought it was the end as he is so old (nearly 16).

The vet diagnosed vestibular disease and we are really keeping fingers crossed that it is the typical old dog kind where they recover within 3 days.

Please keep Misha in your thoughts - he means the world to me. If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know.

Riley also has vestibular disease, but hers is caused by her SM. She has done the same thing that Misha did. She frequently has these episodes in which she whip her body around and will curl it into a backwards C shape and she has nystagmus and is non-responsive. This lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute and she can have several episodes a day. Another site for vestibular disease is http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

I will certainly keep Misha in my thoughts. It's a frightening thing to watch them go through this. Hopefully he'll get through this soon.

Sending very best wishes to Misha,we're all wishing him a full and speedy recovery.
Sins

I have had dogs with this and have friends whose dogs have had it and it can take alot longer than three days to come good but with rest and quiet they can normally get back on track. Sixteen is a wonderful age and it is just possible that this could occur again.

Sorry to read about Misha. Bosco, (aged 4) had an episode of this last February - I was away at the time, so it was my son that witnessed it. What you have described sounds very similar to what it seems Bosco experienced too. So far, he hasn't had another episode, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that it was a one off. He also has SM.
Hope Misha will be ok.

I am so sorry to hear about this. Misha has been such an inspiration here to so many with that beautiful age of 16. I pray he will come out of it, and that you can enjoy some more time with your wonderful boy.

Thank you so, so much for all your good wishes. They must be working. After we got back from the vet, Misha was very upset so we went back for a sedative shot. He fell fast asleep last night and is still groggy today. His eyes are back to normal and he was even able to walk around a bit on his own! Fingers crossed he keeps up the healing.

Have been in this situation with four different teenaged Cavaliers - two had more than one vestibular episode in their later years. I also agree that it can take longer than three days to resolve. One of the four was left with a permanent head tilt. Supportive care (including Meclizine) was all that was needed. The first time it happens is very frightening, but you will recognize the symptoms after that.

Hope symptoms are improving at this point.

Pat

So sorry to hear about this with your lovely old fellow :( really pleased that he is getting better though, sounds as though all the good thoughts are helping :)

Back