• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Today sent me into a panic (Lolly pop induced sm symptoms)

3kids1cav

this morning Bentley sent me into a panic (Lolly pop induced sm symptoms)

this morning really, Bentley was going bazurk air scratching his back left leg, and chewing on it. I was so upset, wishing the new insurance would kick in now so I could just know. (he doesn't have symptoms, but we do get an ear scratch and a dry shake here and there with him so I just am aware and keep an eye out, only once have I ever seen him air scratch since I had him and it was like 1, 2 then that was it, I think he really had an itch but it was in an awkward spot, hard to reach but still it is scarey knowing how prone cavs are and what is possibly going on with his breeder)

DH and I were getting sick over it, he just kept doing it, chewing, air scratching, finally we were sitting with him and I felt something in his paw fur.. there it was, a chunk of a kids lolly pop that he picked up, I had to cut it out of his fur, he had been trying to shake it and chew it out of his paw for an hour and we thought he was having SM symptoms.. as soon as I cut it out he went back to normal. Dumb lolly pop gave me a panic attack.

Obviously we are still watching for sm. but sheesh, he really had us going. His paw fur is a bit wild right now, he needs to get to the groomers, he is going this Wed.
Why couldn't I have fallen in love with a super healthy 20 year problem free life span breed?

Last edited:
So sorry you had this scare - but many of us have asked ourselves that same last question too :(

I'm sorry to say this but re insurance - it is considered fraud to take out insurance knowing or suspecting that there is a pre existing condition, the insurers could refuse to pay out if they suspect that you were already aware - or even prosecute you for fraud. Insurance is not there to cover your costs once you know something is wrong. This is why we strongly recommend people take out insurance as soon as they get their Cavalier - or have arranged a date for collection.

So sorry you had this scare - but many of us have asked ourselves that same last question too :(

I'm sorry to say this but re insurance - it is considered fraud to take out insurance knowing or suspecting that there is a pre existing condition, the insurers could refuse to pay out if they suspect that you were already aware - or even prosecute you for fraud. Insurance is not there to cover your costs once you know something is wrong. This is why we strongly recommend people take out insurance as soon as they get their Cavalier - or have arranged a date for collection.
Oh good to know! we had VPI at first then planed to switch at a year for something that covers genetic problems when he was around a year, I don't think he has it but I do keep my eyes open as I am paranoid, hopefully that isn't a problem. I watch him.. but if anything he does things that all dogs do that can be sm symptoms. I just want the insurance in case he gets sm or Mitral valve. I have no reason as of right now to think he has it. (aside from the lolly pop stuck in his paw episode this morning that had us in a tizzy) Though the breeder might have faked the mri's and health tests. He is definitely not having symptoms of mitral valve or sm at this point. (I do suspect he will at some point though someday just comes with owning a breed that is so incredibly prone to such things.) I don't even have a reason to ask the vet at this point know what I mean. I just want to be as informed and aware of any symptoms now in advance and know what to do if it comes to that someday.

I can only speak for myself, but I totally understand what you are saying. We just know that our Cav's have so many health issues, so we are always vigilant on watching. Therefore it's great that you have changed insurance should someday down the road you have a need if the genetic conditions so prevalent in the breed were to show up, and I hope they don't.

I kind of laughed when reading your post once I got to the part about the lollypop! Had something similar with Claire, but she was yelping and running around the room all distressed. I finally had to grab her....she had her left paw lifted by that point and was still running around the room, nearly screaming when I finally got ahold of her, and checked her paw, a large ant fell off the bottom of her foot. No swelling, no bump, but it must have been mad that she stepped on it and was biting her. I was like you and panic'd about what was going on....had all kind of things going on in my head.

I can only speak for myself, but I totally understand what you are saying. We just know that our Cav's have so many health issues, so we are always vigilant on watching. Therefore it's great that you have changed insurance should someday down the road you have a need if the genetic conditions so prevalent in the breed were to show up, and I hope they don't.

I kind of laughed when reading your post once I got to the part about the lollypop! Had something similar with Claire, but she was yelping and running around the room all distressed. I finally had to grab her....she had her left paw lifted by that point and was still running around the room, nearly screaming when I finally got ahold of her, and checked her paw, a large ant fell off the bottom of her foot. No swelling, no bump, but it must have been mad that she stepped on it and was biting her. I was like you and panic'd about what was going on....had all kind of things going on in my head.

I almost wish I didn't know about SM and mitral valve and episodic falling, and epilepsy ect ect.. Ignorance is bliss, I see Bentley do something which I understand to be normal for dogs, but Bentley is my first dog ever so I never know how normal or not it is.. OF course every time I am out and he goes and shakes someone will say "what is up with dogs and shaking? mine do that constantly" ect.. so I guess it is normal stuff.

Same here!! Not an ant or lollipop though but a big sticky "gum ball" that he picked up on a walk from one of the trees here. I never knew what they were called before, but those sticker balls that fall from trees. That and a couple pine branches were stuck in Lucky's privates at the same time. Poor boy just couldn't get comfortable. I was ready to take him to the Emergency vet first thing Monday morning, and then examined him. As soon as the offending gum ball and pine branches were gone, Lucky was good as new.

So funny how these sweet dogs can throw us into a panic. They are worth it though :)

Back