• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We're hitting the road!

CVFlagg

We are of to Texas A&M tomorrow for Beanie's 6 month follow up with the cardiologist. She has been coughing a touch but overall doing well. I am also bringing my Aston with me to see the neurologist. I am concerned that his allergies (he has been tested and is pretty much allergic to everything, grass included!) are possibly masking symptoms of SM :( I spoke with my regular vet and she said while I was already headed down there I should go ahead and bring him and at the very least have him observed. He is six and otherwise healthy, minus a little dry eye. Fingers crossed it is just me being overly paranoid but better safe than sorry with my babies. We are hitting the road early (it's a 3 hour drive one way) but I'll update when we get back home!

Good luck! I have been following your post about MVD....trying to learn all I can before my old boy's heart gets worse.

Well, we are back and with good news for both!

First, Beanie's heart has not gotten any larger than when they saw her in January! They believe her recent coughing bouts are related to allergies, not her heart, as they noticed her skin allergies had flared up again (her coat is so thick, I don't always catch it!). We are going to lower the dosage of the bronchiodilator to see she continues to not cough since they said that medicine was similar to caffeine so if we could do a lower dose that would be ideal. They were very pleased with her progress and said we are good for another 4-6 months unless something happens!

Now, Aston, the neurologist was "underwhelmed" by his neuro exam- fine by me! He observed him for several hours and saw the scratching (tummy area) and head rubbing I was concerned about and said he believes they are allergy related. When I had him tested for allergies he was allergic to 32 of 36 things including grass which his is around every day so very plausible we are just dealing with allergies but I am paranoid of SM. He pressed all through his spine and neck area and Aston had no reaction. He said we had three options: 1) do nothing unless he starts exhibiting more symptoms, 2) do a two week trial of Lyrica and Prilosec and see if his symptoms improve, or 3) MRI. He said since he is not exhibiting any signs of pain he would personally go with 1 or 2. So, I chose 2, if he gets better on the medications, we know there is some sort of chairi-malformation involved and I can either choose to continue medications or MRI and continue medications, if there is not change on the medications in the two weeks, he recommends I go back to his dermatologist and look at other options for managing his allergies.

So, what I feel is good news on both fronts. They are both completely wiped out and came home, ate, drank and passed out and now I am about to do the same. Thanks for all the good wishes sent our way!

Back