• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear infection?

3kids1cav

Bentley went to the groomers today, I wanted them to pay attention to his ears as they are super dirty inside, and make sure they trim the fur inside (to prevent ear infections) The groomer said he got a good amount of build up out, and that it had a faint odor to it, so we might want to watch him for an ear infection. He said it might be just the beginnings of a mild one. We have not delt with this as of yet, and I am sure we will at some point, so what should I look for? He told me that there would be an odor from his ears, anything else? I will take him to the vet if I notice anything, The groomer said he didn't think I needed to take him to the vet as of now, but to keep an eye on him.

If they were really dirty, I'd have a vet check them. That kind of buildup is often due to earmites or infections. Younger dogs wouldn't generally get big buildups of ear wax for no reason. Your vet can also advise you about what to watch out for with an ear infection but a main sign will be scratching at the ears or headshaking.

more here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2091&aid=273

I think odour is pretty subjective.

Ears often need to be cleaned regularly with wash you can get from the vet, too prevent this kind of buildup. Cleaning should only be done with cotton balls or pads, never with anything like a q tip pushed down into the ear.

An infected ear will look dirty and sometimes red and inflammed. If I were you I would take him into the vet now. They have ear cleaner you can buy and treat the ear. This could aviod a full blown infection. I haven't had too many problems with my cavaliers' ears except for a summer I spent in the midwest. I guess the humid air and daily swimming caused moisture to stay in the ear. My dog develop a horrible ear infection that required extra vet care. Personally I don't like to mess around with the ears. Not treating an ear infection could cause permanent hearing loss.

my first thought was ear mites, I called the vet about that yesterday and he said he doubted it was ear mites but to watch him and call back if I saw signs. the groomer said definitly no ear mites, but what might possibly be an ear infection starting to fester up. He said he got in there and cleaned so just watch him for the signs. I will call the vet tomorrow. I did notice he scratched his ears once or twice this evening and he usually is not a huge ear scratcher. (he smells good all over from the groomers so odor is hard to go on)

Oh the dirt in the ears must have been from this weekend, he made himself a nice bed in the shade, by digging up the back lawn lol. But still it was odd for his ears to have dirt in them at all.

So we went yesterday to get him checked out, and the vet said his ear was a little irritated inside and had some build up, he gave us a cleaning solution and told us to clean after he is out in the rain or digging in the dirt, if things get worse with it he will give us antibiotics for it.

Back