• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reverse sneeze result of allergies???

ashleighelizabeth

I have read about the reverse sneeze and I think Sonny has started doing this sometimes. Are reverse sneezes the result of allergies ? Sonny maybe has done a reverse sneeze one or twice in the past, but the last couple of days I have heard the noise or the sneeze at least 2-3 times a day. Human allergies are really, really bad where I live right now, so I am wondering if Sonny is experiencing allergies too....????

My brother's bulldog started reverse sneezing terribly when they moved. My mom thought he was having asthma attacks, but by the time they got to the vet he had always stopped. The vet suggested getting the air ducts cleaned, turned out they had some pretty horrible mold growth in theirs.

It is a soft palate issue, but I think an "episode" can be triggered by allergens.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Both responses were helpful. I am thinking the noise he is making is a reverse sneeze. It doesn't sound like a normal sneeze, the noise he has been making is in between a gasp, gag, snort. I will just continue to listen. My husband took Sonny to the vet the other day and he of course didn't make the noise while he was in there :sl*p: and I'm not sure how accurately my husband described the noise to the vet. Anyways thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. :)

YouTube is a great resource for comparing symptoms. Just type in 'dog reverse sneeze', and watch a few examples. It can make explaining to your vet much easier.

Back