• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm a cavalier owner too!!!

MomObvious

Hi all just a quick update but I wanted to share I am home with my new little rescue pup Fletcher. I am super tired after driving all day with this guy alone (5 hours if you didn't have to stop for puppy potty breaks) but he did great slept most of the way peed in the crate only once, my bad tho, he didn't eat but has drank some water. I'm not worried at this point, its been a long day. I arrived at the shelter his pregnant mother was dumped back in Feb. about 1030 Wed morning, I got to met the people who work there and the Mother dog and ALL 3 puppies!!!!! I even got to be there when the vet came in for there going home visit and 12 week shots. I just wanna stare at him he is so beautiful. His Blenheim marking are just amazing- his face is just so cute I wanna melt. After the vet left I was just like watching them, the mother looks really healthy, the staff showed me pictures of the day she was discovered tied to the outside fence dumped.......I cried its so sick someone would treat their animal that way. I also got to met another lucky adopter of one of Fletcher's brothers. She is nice, we're going to stay in touch, it'll be fun and because we know nothing about these dogs health wise, other than they are healthy now. I about had a panic attack when it was time to leave, I wasn't picking him up until the next day (the shelter allows puppies to go home the day after 12 wks old) I had a nice visit with my Aunt who really I have to thank for helping my find Fletcher. Oh course I didn't sleep much. I was at the door at opening time this morning to take him HOME. I 'm so happy I could bust like seriously explode...I do feel a little guilty about taking him from all he's ever known but I'm gonna be the best doggie Mommy ever so that helps. After all the pups are going to be adopted out I just feel so grateful to have him. Its like the stars alined just for me.

So far Fletcher is meeting the new family. He seems not to shy which is good because I have busy kids in my house. Our older dog is fine he's just following the puppy a bit and didn't complain when puppy went into his crate!!! So!!! My kids!!!! I'm worried he's never met a child, I have a 15, 12 and 4 year old. I'm mainly concerned about my 4 year old following the new puppy rules- he will. Well, turns out he is like cavalier cat-nip. He is right now very gently rolling a ball back and forth with my 12 year old hoping Fletcher will come over. My 15 year old is currently in charge of watching puppy explore since I'm on the computer. We have his crate area all set up, actually you have to now (temporally) go thur a gated off area to get to the back door we have a doggie door there anyway. I'm nervous about the first night. But we're in it now no turning back!!!! Yes, I'm taking pictures and will post them as soon as I can. Obviously, I'm busy. Tomorrow I have to go to work so I guess that will be Fletcher's first day of daycare. He'll be in my office all day tomorrow I'm sure- in my lap I bet. Anyway again just wanted to share.....will post an update and pictures over the weekend.

Melissa
Mommy to Blenheim boy Fletcher 2/16/12 (my birthday too) :paw::paw::paw:

Congrats... Nothing sweeter than a cavvie puppy's face and belly. Sounds like youve got a good set up for the little guy.. I look forward to pictures!

That's great. He'll sleep quite a bit the first few days (it's overwhelming). Get pictures up soon, we're all waiting. :)

Sounds like you, Fletcher & your family are having so much fun!!

I hope you'll post some pics when you get time. :)

I am so happy for you. It’s such an exciting time when you bring your puppy home. And I think you are doing a great thing with your 4 year old wish more parents would do that. (Read your other post)
I know you done a lot of research so needless to say get good insurance for him.

Sounds like Fletcher has fallen on his feet, and you're all having a ball! I'd second Sabby on insurance. Get it sorted NOW, and if possible don't go near your vet until the 2-week starting period has finished. Fletcher's rescue sounds very thorough, but if your vet did happen to pick anything up in that 2-week period, it would count as a pre-exisiting condition and the insurance would never pay out for it.

Welcome to the worldwide community of Cavalier owners (and Cavalier addicts!)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Oh my goodness so exciting.. and overwhelming I am sure!! I remember that feeling when I got Bentley, the excitement and nerves all at once! I can't wait for pics

:updte:Yeah I do have insurance cause I do know. I tied that up today. My brother-in-law is a vet (he's a jr vet at a big practice- he likes large animals better, horses..) anyway he and my sister and their kids (2 girls) came over last night because they were dying the met the new puppy. He looked over the paperwork I got from the shelter and just gave him a quick look over he agrees with what the shelter vet says he's pretty healthy right now. My brother-in-law is happy to see they did all the standard testing before sending Fletcher home (fecal test he was most concerned about). I had a vet appt with him scheduled for this morning by my brother-in-law helped me look over the insurance info and he told me to reschedule for 2 1/2 weeks. He said their schedule is pretty full so there won't ever be a question. It really helps to have a vet in the family. Granted I will still have to pay for vet appts but the free advice is worth a lot.

Anyway, yesterday he figured out the doggie door pretty quickly, after watching our other dog and ok my 4 year old go thur it a few times. My 4 yr old is really small and is NEVER allowed to go thur the doggie door believe me he was more than thrilled to help Fletcher out. We put Fletcher in his area while we were getting all the evening things done (even tho my daughter offered to watch him- that's going to be our normal routine so) He drank some water but didn't touch his food again..... Then he fell asleep in the hard kitchen floor instead of his open comfy crate in his area. After the kids went to bed and I had some me time I cuddled with Fletcher on the sofa for like 2 hours. He's so cute I can't stop looking at him. Anyway, when it was time for bed I figured ok its now. I talked myself all up that crying and whining wasn't gonna get me running. I do think coming to a crying puppy will teach the dog to cry for everything it wants. I took him outside, gave his time to potty which he did. After a few good boys it was time for one last hug and off the bed. I put the travel crate open him his area too since he slept fine in the car in it I figured maybe he would sleep in it. I did not leave down any paper or puppy pads he has the doggie door there and I saw him use it so cross your fingers but it is what it is he's a puppy in a new place. Well, who could sleep I didn't hear a thing nothing just nothing. About 45 mins, I checked on him there he was sleeping in the travel crate. My husband checked on him a 3 am he was still in there no crying or whining. I'm amazed maybe it was just first timers luck but who cares hope it lasts.
This morning I was greeted but a cavalier waging tail my first morning!!! And a small puddle on the floor, no big deal cleaned it up quickly. I got his breakfast my coffee and we sat outside and he ATE!!!!! I locked the doggie door off so he had to stay out with me he checked out the yard. It was a great way to start the day.
Today and daycare he was great. Pottied outside in his daycare spot no accidents but he was either in a pack and play I have there for him or in my arms all day. I did let the kids see him no touching....he didn't seem to mind the kids. I stayed in a classroom holding him and he fell asleep while the kids were doing their thing yes its loud but...

Now we are home and my daughter is really getting him to play. He's even barking at her. Super cute. My boys are safe on the sofa just laughing.

Thank you for all your well wishes. The whole faimly is thrilled even my husband, who thinks a dog is a dog says he is super cute. Yeah, right I give it a week before he's gaga over him too. My daughter says she'll help me with flicker over the weekend (sad when teenagers need to help us with computer stuff) so I will be posting pictures I promise.

Melissa

Can't wait to see Fletcher! Our Bentley is just getting sweeter all the time. He's almost 18 months old now and all that puppy training stuff is in the past. Since we're 70 & 75, this may be our first and last dog, but if we ever have another his name will be Fletcher. I had already decided that!

Back