• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CO2 air for training

bill1971

One trainer we were looking into seems to endorse a product that uses a burst of air for corrective behavior. I searched all over the web and on you tube and it seems humane and harmless. Anyone hear anything different? I don't want to tramatize little Lady.

I've never heard of this. It does not sound like something I'd be willing to use. It's startling, and upsetting to the dog, however harmless it may actually be.

I have seen it before used on a dog that barks a lot. It shoots out air and makes a hissing sound. I wouldn’t go anywhere near a trainer that endorses anything like that. I wouldn’t call that positive training. Reward based training is all our dogs need no matter what size. If I would use this product on my Cavaliers they would be scared for life and wouldn’t do a thing for me. Stay away from that trainer your dog will thank you for it.

Hmmm I wouldn't start out with this "method" first. My parents have 4 little breed dogs and they picked up the habit of digging last summer. Just a few shots around the yard near the fence gates. Because there are 4 of them if they worked together they could be out quickly so my Dad read online to use air filled ballons in those spots, the thinking is they would pop the ballons and scare themselves so they would stay away. It worked........so maybe but I would ONLY use it A. I had tried everything else and B. if the behavior was dangerous to the dog. I think my parents could have fixed their problem if they provided more supervision for the dogs outside but......not my house or my dogs.

Melissa

Generally, pproblems can be addressed in alternative ways that don't risk scaring the dog. I'm not sure what the behaviour is that needs correcting? Generally these things are used as attempted shortcuts when good management and training -- which take some owner effort -- are more productive. :) Air collars are preferable some of the things out there :yikes but I'd personally not use one and I don't know any trainers who recommend them. They always risk creating a fearful or fear-aggressive dog. There are YouTube videos of people trying them and they are pretty darn startling -- not something I'd want to use on a gentle breed like the cavalier.

If you are looking for a trainer I'd only go with someone with a CPDT qualification. Too many people out there calling themselves dog trainers with little real knowledge. You can locate CPDT trainers by location, here: http://www.ccpdt.org/index.php?option=com_certificants&Itemid=102 :)

Generally, pproblems can be addressed in alternative ways that don't risk scaring the dog. I'm not sure what the behaviour is that needs correcting? Generally these things are used as attempted shortcuts when good management and training -- which take some owner effort -- are more productive. :) Air collars are preferable some of the things out there :yikes but I'd personally not use one and I don't know any trainers who recommend them. They always risk creating a fearful or fear-aggressive dog. There are YouTube videos of people trying them and they are pretty darn startling -- not something I'd want to use on a gentle breed like the cavalier.

If you are looking for a trainer I'd only go with someone with a CPDT qualification. Too many people out there calling themselves dog trainers with little real knowledge. You can locate CPDT trainers by location, here: http://www.ccpdt.org/index.php?option=com_certificants&Itemid=102 :)

Thanks everyone, we decided to go with Petsmart down the street. I ran into a few dog owners on my walks who spoke highly of them. I then called them and asked about their philosophy on training.

Back