• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Have you seen this? Eye Infection Question

BeBe

Hey, BB had an eye infection 2 days ago that came on rather suddenly. We went to the vet and they checked her out very well - no scratch or ulcers in the eye despite the fact that she was squinting and scratching at the eye. She was then put on an antibiotic & steriod ointment. Her eye now looks much better now with the swelling and redness gone but it just looks weird. Her eye looks not exactly cloudy but more glassy. When the light hits the eye just right it looks a little green - it is almost like there is a film over her eye and the color is not like the other one.

So now the question - is this because of the medicine? I have called my vet again but am out of town and do not really want to go to an unknown vet, my vet believes with my description that this can wait until Monday AM. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I just wanted to get another opinion before Monday...

Looking at some pictures on the internet and it looks a little like cataracts but she is only 7 months old?

Pups can have cataracts I'm sorry to say. Trapper had one removed aged approx 9 months, but he was ok - he didn;t realise he had a problem :)

When my Rosie had a bad eye infection my husband took her to our old vet (that was on a Friday) and he said just infection and gave her drops. She had a cloudy milk like film covering her eye. When it wasn’t gone by Monday I took her to our normal vet and he done the same tests and said that the vet on Friday was correct and it takes a few days to go away. 3 days later it was gone and I my pocket was £30 lighter.

Sabby - this is encouraging since there has been some mild improvement - maybe since their eyes are so large it takes longer to clear up? I am really hoping this is the case rather than the cataracts. Have others had this experience with eye infections?

I've used a similar sounding med withTess but haven't noticed the odd eye color. I wouldn't lose sleep over it until you can speak to the prescribing vet. She's probably just fine...:)

I agree with Emkaybee ... try not to worry until you call your vet. Lucky did have conjunctivitis (bacterial infection of the eye) when he was younger. I just can't remember if the meds made his eyes look glassy, but at the time, I would not have worried about it, especially if I had been putting medicine in to treat an infection.

Hopefully your doctor will be available soon so you can put your mind at ease.

My CC/DE girl, Holly P, has this look about her eyes permanently because of the ointments I have to apply to her eyes. It is not a problem, just looks a bit odd when the light catches it, so don't worry about it.

If BB had juvenile cataracts any good vet would have picked it up on initial examination and told you there and then.

It's so easy to worry when we have such sweet and loving little dogs, but if you still have any anxieties why not 'phone your vet, who I am sure will confirm that this is all quite normal.

Thanks for all the advice, BB is looking better but the eye is still not 100% however now does not look like cataracts (yeah!). We spoke to our vet and will see her on Sunday so hopefully will have a "professional" answer tomorrow but seem like she is on the mend...

Good news, BB's eye looks normal today so it must have been the meds and just needed time to get better! Thanks to all for the thoughts and shared experience, we are still going to see the vet tomorrow AM but have made it through the vacation without too much worry!

Back