• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should cavalier breeders breed "carriers"?

Hmmmm that is interesting. But this would only apply to breeders who were DNA testing their breeding dogs? Do I just misunderstand this piece when I come to the conclusion that yes you should breed the carriers to expand the gene pool and even tho less dog would be affected by using the carrier it still could happen however this is the best way to try and keep the carriers good genes in???? Don't worry I'm not going to breed cavaliers or any other animals for that matter I'm just still trying to understand it all.

Hmmmm that is interesting. But this would only apply to breeders who were DNA testing their breeding dogs?

Correct. The breeder has to know whether or not the dog is a carrier. Carriers are asymptomatic of the disorder, so you cannot tell just by looking.

... Do I just misunderstand this piece when I come to the conclusion that yes you should breed the carriers to expand the gene pool and even tho less dog would be affected by using the carrier it still could happen however this is the best way to try and keep the carriers good genes in????

I am not sure I am following you here. If a carrier is bred with a clear mate, then half of the offspring should be carriers and the other half should be clear. None of the offspring should be affected. As long as a carrier is mated with a clear dog, none of the offspring should be affected.

Once the first litter is produced, those offspring can be tested to determine which are clear and which are carriers. The breeder then can breed away from the carriers in her bloodline by breeding only the clear offspring in the next generation.

Very applicable, of course, to Dry Eye and Curly Coat and Episodic Falling in Cavaliers, which have just got their DNA tests. Ineresting article, thanks Rod.

Karte, Oliver and Aled

Correct. The breeder has to know whether or not the dog is a carrier. Carriers are asymptomatic of the disorder, so you cannot tell just by looking.

I am not sure I am following you here. If a carrier is bred with a clear mate, then half of the offspring should be carriers and the other half should be clear. None of the offspring should be affected. As long as a carrier is mated with a clear dog, none of the offspring should be affected.

Once the first litter is produced, those offspring can be tested to determine which are clear and which are carriers. The breeder then can breed away from the carriers in her bloodline by breeding only the clear offspring in the next generation.

Ok thanks, that clear up my questions? Its interesting.

Back