• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

DJ'S annual check today

pippa

DJ went for his annual check today. He had his booster shots and full health check.

His heart is fine, no murmur and strong:) He will be 8yrs in June! One anal gland was full,l because of the infection he had it couldn't be emptied fully the last visit, but the other one was fine and they are completely healed.

His eyesight hasn't gotten much worse since last year still the start of a cataract in one eye (hasn't progressed much) and slight scaring on the other one but at the moment he sees well but has trouble focusing and is slow to focus, I thought his eyesight was getting worse but that explains a lot as he seems to start barking at things until he realizes what it is when he focuses properly.

He has been a bit lame on and off and she confirmed my suspicions of degenerative disc disease (spondylosis), the same as Gus, not as bad and no slipped discs but to watch out for that...He only needs, like Gus, metacam if he has a bad day and seems in pain, but no need for any other treatment yet.

All in all I am pleased, as his heart is good and the disc disease can be managed as with Gus, so basically himself and Gus are the same health wise, one has poor eyesight and disc disease and the other has poor (almost no) hearing and disc disease but both have good healthy hearts no murmurs and no signs of SM, which I am very grateful for:)

My little Pippin is due annual check in July so I can hopefully relax until then!

Is spondylosis a normal part of aging?

From what I gather it can be, Gus had problems earlier on in life with discs though and I don't Know DJ's history before I got him, when he was almost four.The vet said (as I already knew) that it is very common in Cavaliers. I always thought DJ 'held' his back strangely, he sits like a cat sometimes, but he has only started showing trouble these last few months on and off and wouldn't be as slow or as stiff as Gus can get. They are all on joint supplements which help.

Back