• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Losing hair from nose bridge?

dandelos

So we recently noticed that Skippy is "losing" hair from his nose bridge area....it doesn't necessarily fall out on its own, but if you just give the hair there a very light pinch and tug, it comes out very easily, looking almost like dandelion seeds when they are blown off (if that makes sense). I could keep pulling but I'm afraid that spot would eventually become 'bald'.

The rest of the hair on his head/face seems to be fine, and I can't think of any incidents that might be causing this. The -only- thing I can think of is that we didn't do a good job of washing off the shampoo+conditioner off his nose bridge the last time we bathed him, 3 weeks or so ago.

Also, his demeanor/behavior is completely normal.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I would suspect allergies. My first labrador eons ago, had food allergies and one of his symptoms was hair loss around the eyes and nose.

Can't help on the cause, but be careful if the weather turns hot - you'll need to put some sunblock on Skippy's nose.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Is it the nose bridge or the actual 'stop' area?
I have seen dogs with the stop area turning pink eventually and it needed vets treatment to clear up. I have a ruby boy with a very deep stop and when he gets hot that area is a perfect breeding ground for a fungal type infection, rather like the lip folds. I always make sure I keep the area very clean and try not to rub it because as you surmise the hair clumps (your dandelion description is perfect) will just keep on coming out until the area is bald.

Is it the nose bridge or the actual 'stop' area?
I have seen dogs with the stop area turning pink eventually and it needed vets treatment to clear up. I have a ruby boy with a very deep stop and when he gets hot that area is a perfect breeding ground for a fungal type infection, rather like the lip folds. I always make sure I keep the area very clean and try not to rub it because as you surmise the hair clumps (your dandelion description is perfect) will just keep on coming out until the area is bald.

You are correct, it is the curved area where the back of the snout/muzzle meets the forehead. I assume then the only way to know if it is a fungal infection is to take him to the vet? His skin in that area does appear to be browner than the rest of the skin around his face (pink), and there is also some kind of brown sediment at the roots of his hair clumps when they get dislodged.

Yes I would check it out with the vet simply because if treatment is needed you want to be sure what you use is safe so close to the eyes.

Back