Thread: Slightly untidy puppy coat?!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slightly untidy puppy coat?!!

Alfie is 24 weeks and starting to get a lot of tufts of hair especially on his feet and his face and arm pits! The top of his head is more messy too!! He's a ruby and the tufts are a lot lighter in colour. Just wondering what age normally the coat looks tidy again?!! Is the colour of the tufts a reflection on his new coat colour?!
    Fiona
    & Alfie 02/12/11

Post Thanks / Like

Henry is 23 weeks and is a mess too. I'm >thisclose< to taking him in and having them straighten him up a bit.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

BB is 7 months and usually cleans up well however, we started the Isle of Dogs shampoo No 12 and conditioner No 51. These helped with her dry skin and fly away hair, I do blow her hair dry to get it to lay straight. Not sure how bad your furry babes look but this helped my baby look better!
    Noelle, B.B., & Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher is younger than your dogs but his puppy coat has darked all over his body he's blenheim (the back part of him was a really light brown--from pictures I was send before I got him) I have been brushing him everyday and using a leave on conditioner spray for dogs. My hope is to avoid knots before they happen. Personally I would prefer to leave him mostly uncliped. I love cavaliers with their long hair. However, that means I need to keep up with regular brushing/grooming. I think I may clip his feet since I'm guessing those "bedroom slippers" looking feet drag in a lot of dirt. And his "potty area" maybe too. I'm also brushing his teeth every night- helps with the bad doggie breathe and is good for him overall health.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are the tufts of hair slippers and feathering?

The puppy hair does get longer after about 6 months and they start to look more like adult dogs. I think it's fair to say the feathering in my dogs is a bit lighter than the main coat (like the coat on their backs). I think if you're patient everything will come together nicely with his coat.

Whether or not to trim is a totally personal decision. I don't see anything wrong with it for non-show dogs. If I didn't let the groomer trim slippers & feathering my guys would have (at least) 6 inches of hair on their slippers and feathering. I never let her trim the ears though.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa, I'm noticing the potty area needs a bit of a trim up. I brush Henry every day too. I just love his ears, they always smell so sweet because he nuzzles my neck, lol.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by My Henry Boy View Post
    Melissa, I'm noticing the potty area needs a bit of a trim up. I brush Henry every day too. I just love his ears, they always smell so sweet because he nuzzles my neck, lol.
    Yeah I bet. And because we have no carpet in our main living area I have noticed I need to trim the hair on the bottom of his little feet too. He been pretty good about his nightly brushing but I am doing it while he's tired and getting ready to cuddle on the sofa with me for our evening TV time.

Melissa