• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Slightly untidy puppy coat?!!

cheekyAlfie

Alfie is 24 weeks and starting to get a lot of tufts of hair especially on his feet and his face and arm pits! The top of his head is more messy too!! He's a ruby and the tufts are a lot lighter in colour. Just wondering what age normally the coat looks tidy again?!! Is the colour of the tufts a reflection on his new coat colour?!

Henry is 23 weeks and is a mess too. I'm >thisclose< to taking him in and having them straighten him up a bit.

BB is 7 months and usually cleans up well however, we started the Isle of Dogs shampoo No 12 and conditioner No 51. These helped with her dry skin and fly away hair, I do blow her hair dry to get it to lay straight. Not sure how bad your furry babes look but this helped my baby look better!

Fletcher is younger than your dogs but his puppy coat has darked all over his body he's blenheim (the back part of him was a really light brown--from pictures I was send before I got him) I have been brushing him everyday and using a leave on conditioner spray for dogs. My hope is to avoid knots before they happen. Personally I would prefer to leave him mostly uncliped. I love cavaliers with their long hair. However, that means I need to keep up with regular brushing/grooming. I think I may clip his feet since I'm guessing those "bedroom slippers" looking feet drag in a lot of dirt. And his "potty area" maybe too. I'm also brushing his teeth every night- helps with the bad doggie breathe and is good for him overall health.

Melissa

Are the tufts of hair slippers and feathering?

The puppy hair does get longer after about 6 months and they start to look more like adult dogs. I think it's fair to say the feathering in my dogs is a bit lighter than the main coat (like the coat on their backs). I think if you're patient everything will come together nicely with his coat.

Whether or not to trim is a totally personal decision. I don't see anything wrong with it for non-show dogs. If I didn't let the groomer trim slippers & feathering my guys would have (at least) 6 inches of hair on their slippers and feathering. I never let her trim the ears though. :)

Melissa, I'm noticing the potty area needs a bit of a trim up. I brush Henry every day too. I just love his ears, they always smell so sweet because he nuzzles my neck, lol.

Melissa, I'm noticing the potty area needs a bit of a trim up. I brush Henry every day too. I just love his ears, they always smell so sweet because he nuzzles my neck, lol.

Yeah I bet. And because we have no carpet in our main living area I have noticed I need to trim the hair on the bottom of his little feet too. He been pretty good about his nightly brushing but I am doing it while he's tired and getting ready to cuddle on the sofa with me for our evening TV time.

Melissa

Back