Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've fallen in love with the Cavalier...but worry about the health problems.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't have any clue about SM when we acquired our Bentley, although I had read enough online to be aware of heart issues. He's about 18 months old now and the joy of our lives. Our daughter who brought him to us passed away in Dec and he has been such a comfort. I don't know if I'd ever want any other breed. He's adorable, well-behaved, and just beautiful. Sleeping at my feet as I type...

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anything breeders can/should do to reduce the chances of glue ear, episodic falling, and luxating patellas? Or is it just hips, SM, CM and MVD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany103 View Post
    Is there anything breeders can/should do to reduce the chances of glue ear, episodic falling, and luxating patellas? Or is it just hips, SM, CM and MVD?
    I'm not sure about glue ear but for episodic falling, there now is a DNA test. You would want parents to either be one carrier to a clear or both clear of the gene.

They could have their patellas checked prior to breeding to help limit chance of luxating patellas. http://cavalierhealth.com/patellas.htm tells about breeder responsibilities and what is recommended by both clubs in the USA.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    I'm not sure about glue ear but for episodic falling, there now is a DNA test. You would want parents to either be one carrier to a clear or both clear of the gene.

They could have their patellas checked prior to breeding to help limit chance of luxating patellas. http://cavalierhealth.com/patellas.htm tells about breeder responsibilities and what is recommended by both clubs in the USA.
    Awesome, thanks! I didn't know there was a DNA test for episodic falling, that's good to know.
    I think I have the breeder all lined up, she MRIs and everything.

For anyone who wants to answer...

I'm looking at supplies...is there a specific collar length/width that would be good [inches]? Like, do puppies need a skinnier collar since their necks are smaller? How long should the leash be? I heard that you should have a training lead that should be longer: does that mean like 6 feet? I'm petite, only 5 feet tall, so I don't think I'd need a very long leash to give the dog room. How about the leash for walking? Does the thickness of the leash matter at all?

For dishes, I think I'll be ordering spaniel water/food bowls off of Etsy, so that's covered.

And harnesses...I've seen a lot of cavs with this style of harness: http://www.petco.com/product/118854/...yle-Print.aspx

Is there a reason that style is better than this style? http://www.petco.com/product/112124/...g-Harness.aspx

Also, is it okay to have a collar on in the house and then switch to the harness when the dog is on a leash, or would just having the collar on at all harm the dog? I assume that when the harness gets put on, the collar comes off: would it then be a good idea to buy a harness with D-rings to attach duplicates of the ID tags to?

For dog beds, does it matter whether the bed has sides? I've read that sides make the dog feel more secure, is that true? Would it be okay to just buy a bed that would fit an adult Cav and let the puppy grow into it, or should I buy one that fits the puppy and upgrade when needed?

Post Thanks / Like

I started Fletcher out on a Coastal step in harness 5/8" I think, so far its great because its adjusts soooooo much. AND it was pretty cheap. Step in is the way to go with a puppy, even then sometimes Fletcher gives me a hard time. Since puppies grow so fast your going to end up buying a few. I do want a nice one like your first one you have a link for but I'm going to wait until he's grown. Also, I don't see a point to having a dog/puppy wear a collar in the house and a harness outside since you don't want to crate a dog with either.
    As for dog beds I bought a few cheap ones (washable type) in off-white thinking they may need a little bleach in the washer too. Some bedsy out there have removable covers, what a pain. I ended up using old bath mats then one of the beds/crate liner type beds....luck for me Fletcher really likes to dunk him soft toys in his water bowl why??? But the bath mats make sure the bottom of the crate don't get wet.

Oh and I prefer a 6 ft leash, its a personal choice I think.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

In the beginning I struggled with what to do about switching the tags from collar to harness and vice versa, but now I leave Sonny's collar on even when he wears his harness. He doesn't seem to mind wearing both of them at all. He always runs over and helps me put his harness on when I bring it out.

I also have heard that the beds with sides are good for them to feel secure and to have a place to rest their head. I think that they like beds their size so that they are all cozy, but I don't know for sure. Sonny has a bed/crate liner in his crate and then I put a snuggly blanket on top of that which makes it easy to wash. Sonny really only has ever slept in his crate, he barely ever used the beds that I put in the living room. We bought little beds for Sonny when he was a baby which he used sometimes and then when he got older we spent a lot of money and got him a really nice bed for adults which he has ended up NEVER using, so it now is basically a glorified toy box .

Awesome, thanks! I didn't know there was a DNA test for episodic falling, that's good to know.
    I think I have the breeder all lined up, she MRIs and everything.

For anyone who wants to answer...

I'm looking at supplies...is there a specific collar length/width that would be good [inches]? Like, do puppies need a skinnier collar since their necks are smaller? How long should the leash be? I heard that you should have a training lead that should be longer: does that mean like 6 feet? I'm petite, only 5 feet tall, so I don't think I'd need a very long leash to give the dog room. How about the leash for walking? Does the thickness of the leash matter at all?

For dishes, I think I'll be ordering spaniel water/food bowls off of Etsy, so that's covered.

And harnesses...I've seen a lot of cavs with this style of harness: http://www.petco.com/product/118854/...yle-Print.aspx

Is there a reason that style is better than this style? http://www.petco.com/product/112124/...g-Harness.aspx

Also, is it okay to have a collar on in the house and then switch to the harness when the dog is on a leash, or would just having the collar on at all harm the dog? I assume that when the harness gets put on, the collar comes off: would it then be a good idea to buy a harness with D-rings to attach duplicates of the ID tags to?

For dog beds, does it matter whether the bed has sides? I've read that sides make the dog feel more secure, is that true? Would it be okay to just buy a bed that would fit an adult Cav and let the puppy grow into it, or should I buy one that fits the puppy and upgrade when needed?

Post Thanks / Like

My two have light webbing collars that they wear all the time - a bit stretchy and loose enough, as I don't usually use a lead on them, to be pulled out of easily if they get snagged on anything, but this has never been a problem. This enables them to wear their identity discs at all times, and they have a note on the back of the disc saying they are microchipped, which can deter thieves and also make them easier to find if they do get stolen or lost. You never know when a visitor is going to leave a gate open, or you forget to shut the dogs in when you answer the front door, or a wind knocks down part of your garden fence! For going out they have a harness with a ring at the front, on their chest, which is very good for stopping pulling.

Sounds as if you need the canine version of a Baby Shower!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

My family gave me a Puppy Shower!!!! It was fun we did it after I got him, so it ended up being a meet the new puppy event too. My family knew I was picky about buying things like harnesses and bowls so mostly I got gift cards from pet stores. And a few friends gave him toys. It was fun especially since I never had a Baby Shower years ago. I think its perfectly fine for a Puppy Shower! After all I did send out Adoption Notices like you would if you adopted a baby. My husband thought I was nutty but I don't care.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

If I get a cav and have a full time job, would it be okay to hire a petsitter for while I'm at work? Obviously I'd train it myself, housebreak it myself, but would a petsitter be good to keep it company? I'd be living alone, so there wouldn't be anyone there during the say without one.

Post Thanks / Like

If I get a cav and have a full time job, would it be okay to hire a petsitter for while I'm at work? Obviously I'd train it myself, housebreak it myself, but would a petsitter be good to keep it company? I'd be living alone, so there wouldn't be anyone there during the say without one.

Cavaliers are people dogs. I have heard over and over how you do need to be able to devote time to spending with cavaliers. But with puppies in general they can't be left alone very much at all. An hour 2 maybe for a puppy under 6 or so months?!?!! I have a friend that got a puppy 8 weeks old (not a cavalier) and was working full-time, her plan was to come home everyday on her lunch break the potty/fed/play with the puppy. Well, I didn't think that was a good idea puppies, small breed ones anyway can hold their "potty" that long and a bored puppy is a distructive one. Well, after 3 months of my friend constantly having the clean puppy "potty" from her kitchen floor where she pinned the pup up when she wasn't home and the puppy actually ate one of the kitchen cabinet doors off, my friend was looking to re-home the puppy. This puppy was no more housebroken than a new baby and if she had someone to play with the dog also would have used his energy on good play instead of the kitchen cabinets.

I ended up offering the keep the puppy with me at work (since I have option) Plus what I do offers the puppy lots of socialization. Lucky for her I was able to do that for her and her puppy. The arrangement worked out great, my friend would drop puppy off with me at work and then pick her up after (sometimes I wasn't here but my staff- loved having the dog here so they would help) My friend also enrolled in a good puppy class where she (my friend the owner) learned how to train a puppy.

My friend took in an older rescue of the same breed, right after the puppy turned 1. They share a giant crate during the day now.

Just something to think about.

I have had Fletcher 3 weeks now and have not left him alone yet at all. We are a package deal now he goes where I go.

Melissa