• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much should they be losing per week?

kimy27

Bailey and Dylan have been on a diet for 8 days after the vet told me they were both overweight. I weighed them today and Bailey has went from 9kg to 8.5kg and Dylan has went from 11kg to 10.4kg. Is this too much weight for them to lose in 8 days?

I have completely cut out any treats and have brought down their James Wellbeloved kibble to 50 grams per day. Do you think I should give them more?

It's so hard to get the right balance. I don't want them putting on anymore weight but I obviously don't want to be starving them either.

Thanks.

When Aled gets overweight - I try to keep him to 9.5k - I simply put him on Burns High Oats. This is designed for dogs losing weight and elderly dogs who need to watch their weight because they don't exercise so much. The real plus with this is that you can give them the same amount as they would have of their usual food, and it really does get their weight off, but gradually - the weight your two have lost is great, but it probably isn't a good idea to continue at that rate, not least because it could lower their resistance if, for example, they pick up a tummy bug. It's not designed for younger dogs to be on all the time; you decide on a target weight and use High Oats until they reach it, then move them gradually back to their usual food. You also need to keep to a good amount of exercise; Aled is being a bit slow to lose weight this time, but this is mainly because he missed out on a lot of regular exercise when the weather was so awful, and I've been having walking problems too. But he's lost half a kilogram over about 5 weeks, and just needs to lose a little bit more. What's the right weight of regular food varies with each dog. Aled is not a pig and never seems to need more than about 50g (and can still put on weight on that if his exercise drops!). Oliver has 100g a day, never puts on weight but will eat anything he can get hold of!

Hope that helps,

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Bailey and Dylan have been on a diet for 8 days after the vet told me they were both overweight. I weighed them today and Bailey has went from 9kg to 8.5kg and Dylan has went from 11kg to 10.4kg. Is this too much weight for them to lose in 8 days? ...

NO!

Back