• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Interceptor is not available nationwide due to a halt in production( in US at least)

MomObvious

Nice, I hope online to order this and its NOT expected to be available until early 2013. Its a heartworm preventive med. So my question is what else is available that is good. Fletcher has a vet appt. scheduled tomorrow so I guess I'll ask. (Yes, even tho my brother-in-law is a vet I'm seeing another vet I have used for years before my BIL become a vet plus he's into horses so he's never at his practice- always on the road- even then he sees only a few regular dogs). Also I already treated Fletcher with both Interceptor and K9 Advantix II and he had no problems with either. I live in Virginia, low lining Va, so the ticks, misquotes, and biting flies are bad, especially since we had a very mild winter.

What do you use? I have also read about some natural ways to prevent fleas and ticks....not sure about that tho. Any advice would be great.

Melissa

I use trifexis as well. Won't stop ticks though (I can attest to that). I do a good brush out after being in the "wild", ticks take a few hours to choose a spot and attach- make sure to get behind the ears, inside the ear leathers, armpits, everywhere.

Ticks are bad this year, so you'll probably want something for ticks (we have 2 cats who aren't big on brushing, lol). I'll have to look and see what our new one is called, it's topical. I'll try to remember to repost what it is when I can read it.

I switched to HeartGuard and then use Frontline during the Summer months for ticks, during the Winter I use Trifexis and love it but need the tick protection during the Summer. I switched to HeartGuard because it is a little less expensive and the vet recommended it - no problems with the change!

On a different note, the natural protection against heart worms, fleas and ticks is not 100% proven with a lot of different opinions - mostly vets do not recommend it and health nutritionalists believing it is a better way. I am sure people on this board have more information on this topic - all I am saying is do the research before you go 100% natural on heart worm protection. Let me know if you find out anything different, I would love to move to more natural treatments.

We use Heartguard (our vet said it kills baby heartworms, not just eggs. We switched when our humane society rescue boxer had a very mild case of heartworms, and aortic stenosis, and were advised it would be safer to wait out the heartworms, than treat) and Frontline Plus. The new stuff was for the cats, apparently :p.

Fletcher went to the vet today for a shot, distemper. So I asked her. She said even tho she prefers Interceptor I should go back to Heartguard (that's what I give our other dog) and either Frontline Plus or K9 Advantix. So I am going with that. She expressed the importance since the bugs are gonna be pretty bad this year, duh I know that. What do then say a ounce of prevention is worth a pound in repair. Maybe I have that backwards hahaha normal me.

Anyway, Flethcer weights 10.2 bls thats 4.6 kg???? wow I converted, he is will be 15 weeks tomorrow. Is that "normal" sized?? I know they are all different but.....

Oh I almost forgot I also talked to my vet about the natural ways to prevent ticks or fleas, she said she has a few doggie parents thay swear by it one is a cavalier. I'm not sure but I know it involves feeding them garlic and some other herds. I don't know but I'm sure someone on CT might.

Melissa
:rolleyes:

Brooky gets fed garlic and herbs as flea prevention (garlic also has many other health benefits including helping her yeast infections). I know garlic is a controversial topic with some...but it works for us and I trust our holistic vet.

If anyone wants to know more about it, happy share!

Have not been successful with a natural tick treatment though. Might try cedar oil this year, but I'm not willing to put too much risk into Brooky getting a paralysis tick again!

Nice, I hope online to order this and its NOT expected to be available until early 2013. Its a heartworm preventive med. So my question is what else is available that is good.
Melissa

I ran into the same problem earlier this year, with Interceptor.

In its place, I ordered Iverhart Plus (made by Virbac) from Dr.s Foster & Smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ My veterinarian had to FAX the Rx and it all went very smoothly. My vet has cautioned against ordering from online vendors, as their storage facilities aren't always kept at a proper temperature (can get too hot in summer). When I told him where I was buying, he said they were very reputable and had no problems with FAXing the Rx to them.

It all took a few weeks, so if you've given the last on-hand dose of Interceptor, you need to start tomorrow on getting something else.

I also ordered Sophie's K9Advantix II from them, as it was on a good sale at the time. Drs. F & S sent that on, as soon as they received my order. FAXing the Rx for the Iverhart Plus, processing the order, and shipping, all took a while. Now that the Rx is on file, it should go much easier next time. I ordered a one-year supply.

I ran into the same problem earlier this year, with Interceptor.

In its place, I ordered Iverhart Plus (made by Virbac) from Dr.s Foster & Smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ My veterinarian had to FAX the Rx and it all went very smoothly. My vet has cautioned against ordering from online vendors, as their storage facilities aren't always kept at a proper temperature (can get too hot in summer). When I told him where I was buying, he said they were very reputable and had no problems with FAXing the Rx to them.

It all took a few weeks, so if you've given the last on-hand dose of Interceptor, you need to start tomorrow on getting something else.

I also ordered Sophie's K9Advantix II from them, as it was on a good sale at the time. Drs. F & S sent that on, as soon as they received my order. FAXing the Rx for the Iverhart Plus, processing the order, and shipping, all took a while. Now that the Rx is on file, it should go much easier next time. I ordered a one-year supply.

Thanks for that tip. I have (my vet gave to me) another dose of Intercerptor, and AdvantixII (she slipped me an extra welcome puppy kit- love her) So I have the June dose and I think I'm going to just use Heartguard. However, I will ask about Iverhart Plus, and that website. Fletcher has to go back the the vets in 2 weeks anyway for his last 2 puppy shots. My parents and sister's and I have been ordering K9 Advanticx II together since the more you buy the more you save, combined that's 7 dogs now!!!

Back