• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not happy with Misty

especially if it left you so worried and implied there weren't many things to try.

This was the scary thing. I hung up the phone, called my Hubby in tears, and cried on/off for a few hours afterwards. Maybe it was just the shock of thinking that this could be us at the end of the line, and that I was being cruel keeping her around, that numbed me up. Or maybe it was just because I'm so used to dealing with Alison who has treated Misty from the start, that I never questioned and pushed. I'll speak to Alison on Wednesday, and see what her opinion on the drug mix is, it may differ from the others I've spoken to over the last few weeks. I want a clear answer as to why we're starting Tramadol, and not trying to increase the Gabapentin. One of the other Neuro's I'd spoken to about increasing it, about 10 days ago, said Misty would be too drowzy, and the second said it wouldn't work. There was no further explanation as to why, but then I didn't really push it after thinking we only had two drugs left to choose from.

The main thing is Misty seems more settled at the moment, and hopefully she'll continue to be until I some answers on Wednesday.

What a day! Misty has been so restless. She's been staring at me most of the day. I don't know whats up with her at all. If she's not sitting in front of me staring at me, she's on her bed doing it. When Murphy stares at me I know he either wants out, or he want me to get on the floor and play with him :D

She's been doing more scratching, and head rubbing today as well. I'm not sure if this is something to do with the Tramadol, or if it's her CM/SM.
photo-3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you still have issues with Misty. I have no advise to give you, but just wanted you to know that I'm hoping you can get some answers for Misty. Keeping you both in my thoughts. Hugs.

I checked the BBC weather site for Dumfries, and like us in Coventry the air pressure is falling rapidly, and moves up or down can cause a lot of discomfort for dogs with CM/SM. Oliver has been groaning a lot this evening, in spite of his new medication, and this could well be why Misty has been so restless. Even if Alison increases Misty's gabapentin, it's worth asking her if you can give another one when Misty is particularly uncomfortable - which may well happen if the air pressure moves up or down quite rapidly - it really can help to make them more comfortable. It's worth keeping an eye on the air pressure, because then you can anticipate difficult days.

I was stuck tonight, because the RVC researcher is away for two weeks and I didn't know whether I could give Oliver any extra medication, so of course didn't. But it's something I will check out when he's back. Oddly, Oliver's never been particularly affected by pressure before, so perhaps tonight was related to his new drug - and of course it may not be the pressure at all.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Just to say that my Ebony was on Tramadol when she had her leg operation and that really spaced her out and she slept all day , but she is fine with Gabapentin.

Every dog is different.

Just to say that my Ebony was on Tramadol when she had her leg operation and that really spaced her out and she slept all day , but she is fine with Gabapentin.

Every dog is different.

Luckily she's not been adversely affected by Tramadol at all. She's been on it since Friday, and the only day she's been strange was Monday, when she seemed to want something, and kept staring at me. It's good to see her doing so well. She's relaxed while she's sleeping, she's not fidgeting or constantly moving position. She's eager to go on walks, and has hardly been scratching at all.

I called Glasgow today to try and speak to Alison, but she's not back on clinic duty yet, so I got them to email her, asking to contact me when she's back on clinic duty. I'm so happy Misty's doing well on the Tramadol, but still want to speak to her about how her treatments going.

Okay, spoken to Alison, and cleared things up. Alison would prefer to treat this as a flare up, rather than assuming its progression at this stage. So we've to stay on the Tramadol and the half a Pred each day until next Friday. I've to call in and let her know how Mistys doing, and if all is still well, we'll drop the Pred back to half every other day. With a view to stop the Tramadol, but keep some in the house for use if needed.

The reason Misty has to stay on the Pred is down to the Metacam not helping her. And the fact she was so up and down, symptom wise on Rimodyl. With it being such a low dose of Pred, Alison thinks its best to keep her on it as she is normally very stable on it.

As for the Gabapentin, we just need to see whether this is a flare up, or progression. If its the latter, then we'll need to go up to 150mgs. Her only warning was some dogs show signs of sedation on it, while others are fine.

This was a much happier conversation compared to the one I had with the other Neuro on Friday. Alison was updating her notes as we were speaking, as they hadn't been updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad that Misty is getting sorted - dealing with CM/SM really keeps you on your toes!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

It seems you are also happier now you have talked to Alison. It's nothing worse then just waiting if your dog seems not right. Hope Misty just had a flare up, the weather doesnt help either.

Thanks Kate :)

Your right about the weather Sabby. The pressure has been falling over Dumfries according to my Barometer, and I've seen a bit more scratching today, but overall she's still doing really well. It's only very short bouts of scratching, a few times before her walks, and once about half an hour before her afternoon pill :D

Thanks Kate :)

Your right about the weather Sabby. The pressure has been falling over Dumfries according to my Barometer, and I've seen a bit more scratching today, but overall she's still doing really well. It's only very short bouts of scratching, a few times before her walks, and once about half an hour before her afternoon pill :D

Yes my Ebony has been scratching a lot today, and that normally doesn't happen on normal days. I can allways tell when it is weather related.

Back