• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Housetraining-the dog or me?

MomObvious

Why do we say we are house training our puppies its more like he's training me?

AHHHHH Fletcher just ate his evening meal and normally we go directly outside but we are having a thunderstorm so I left him in his crate a little longer hoping the rain would slow up. Well it did and I took him out with a big golf umbrella trying the cover the puppy more than me. He sniffed around and around rain started pouring again but I was NOT going in until he went. He finally peed I was hoping for more but... I got soaked (oh well at least its not cold out) and put him in his crate while I went to change my clothes then I let him out to play a little with me for a few. Well, sure enough he started sniffing around and around a sure sign he needed to go you know what. So back outside we went. I got soaked over again but he did his business outside. All the house training tips say to watch your puppy carefully to avoid accidents before they happen well I went for that tonight at all costs and won. Oh its a good thing I love that little monster!! I hope he is good to go for a bit or at least until the thunderstorms pass or my husband gets home. HAHAHAA Gonna go start a load of laundry now. Oh the joys of owning a puppy I wouldn't trade it for the world, but its an adventure, a sense of humor diffidently required.

Please feel free to laugh at me! I got so wet I really looked like I stepped into the shower fully clothed twice! My kids thought it was funny.

Melissa

Next time they chuckle at you, tell them they're next in line to take him out when it's raining. :)

Oh, my. This sounds so familiar. We went through so much trying to housetrain Bentley as he was our first inside dog ever and we're in our 70s! He's now 1 1/2 years old and always "tells" us by scratching on the wood blind on the door. (Don't ask what the blind looks like now!) I normally have absolutely no patience for such a thing as walking a dog round & round in the rain & windbut, oh what we will do for our cavs! He's been a lifesaver for us since the death of the daughter in Dec. Such a comfort.

looked like I stepped into the shower fully clothed twice!

Melissa, should have just gone naked, with a poncho!!! Opps sorry you don't live in California do you! :jump:

Great result! :)

If it makes you feel better I had to take my four out in their rainjackets this evening (no choice when I'm at my house which is in the city; they have to be walked; out at my partner's they can just pop outside to go and no walk involved). Don't have to use the jackets as often as you'd think for Ireland; nonetheless I have put in many hours over the years waiting for dogs to pee on a rainy walk... :)

While we were house-training Sophie, we had The Absolute Rainiest Spring, ever. The good news is that she got over her desire to stay under the umbrella with me and accustomed to 'going' in the rain. To a fault. She continues to ... browse around ... in pouring rain as if it's a beautiful summer day. :rolleyes:

Fletcher doesn't mind getting wet if its fun, he loves to swim in the pool with us. However, if its rain he turns sly about getting wet. I guess the rain makes the yard not smell right so he always seems to have the sniff around longer, or that's what if feels like. Oh well, I won that battle Friday evening, its the small victories with puppies :rolleyes:

I would have sent out the kids, who thought is was super funny that Mom was getting soaked AGAIN but it they are not "Fletcher potty trained" since that are only 4 and 12 plus there was lightening and thunder...if it had be rain on a warm day without lightening or thunder they would have been out playing in the rain. My kids are weird they love to run around the yard in the rain and get wet, jump in mud puddles. I allow it only if they have on old clothes and ask. Believe it or not its kinda fun! For us its much better than playing in snow.

By the way after I posted about the thunderstorms Friday evening, a even stronger line of thunderstorms moved in and we even had tornado's in the area (which is odd for us) Thankfully, no one was killed and Fletcher only needed to go out one more time after the line passed.

Melissa

I hate when storms turn into tornado warnings. Living in the south this year it's seemed like every t storm has has spin off tornados.

I hate when storms turn into tornado warnings. Living in the south this year it's seemed like every t storm has has spin off tornados.

Yes and hurricane season is just started and we've already had named storms. I think its going to be a rocky weather year. Do you live near the coast? We do and don't, I mean we live inland but not far enough from the bay....however we have stayed for the last few hurricanes Irene last year (which made a direct hit thankfully it wasn't too bad) and Isabelle I few years back (which got up pretty good, no power for 12 days after). If you do make sure you have your supplies ready. I remember was it Hugo that got SC last? Ah, but at least with hurricanes the news goes nuts like a week before so you have time to decide what to do...but the first thing the store runs out of is water and batteries so buy them now. Also I think a big supply you need and most people don't think about is an extra tank for the grill (without power its your only way to cook)

Melissa

Why do we say we are house training our puppies its more like he's training me?

AHHHHH Fletcher just ate his evening meal and normally we go directly outside but we are having a thunderstorm so I left him in his crate a little longer hoping the rain would slow up. Well it did and I took him out with a big golf umbrella trying the cover the puppy more than me. He sniffed around and around rain started pouring again but I was NOT going in until he went. He finally peed I was hoping for more but... I got soaked (oh well at least its not cold out) and put him in his crate while I went to change my clothes then I let him out to play a little with me for a few. Well, sure enough he started sniffing around and around a sure sign he needed to go you know what. So back outside we went. I got soaked over again but he did his business outside. All the house training tips say to watch your puppy carefully to avoid accidents before they happen well I went for that tonight at all costs and won. Oh its a good thing I love that little monster!! I hope he is good to go for a bit or at least until the thunderstorms pass or my husband gets home. HAHAHAA Gonna go start a load of laundry now. Oh the joys of owning a puppy I wouldn't trade it for the world, but its an adventure, a sense of humor diffidently required.

Please feel free to laugh at me! I got so wet I really looked like I stepped into the shower fully clothed twice! My kids thought it was funny.

Melissa

Hi Melissa...
You made me *smile...and have to admit..chuckle a little ;)
I feel for you young Mom's that are also dealing w/ the puppy issues! It isn't easy when pups require just as much attention as having a little baby !! Not easy.
I'm not so young anymore ( am a grandma w/ 3 grandkids). I also no longer work outside the home...so I had time to take our little Wrigley out every hour when we first got him. He was potty trained quickly. It also helped that we had our ( now 3 yr. old ) labrador too..as he showed him what he was supposed to do...lol.
Anyways.... praying your little pup gets the hang of this soon for you ! Like you said..they add such joy to our lives...so they are worth the effort.
*Have a great day* :)
~ It's raining & thundering here today as well.

Back