• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is loud music bad for cavaliers? Or is this a stupid question?

MomObvious

I am known for playing loud music in the car all the time. When my kids are in the car I try to keep it down but my kids are like me they want to louder, but even then I set a limit. Well Fletcher is in the car with me more than anyone. Is it ok the crank it up with him in the car with me? I don't know why but today when I was rocking out loud with him in the car I just thought of that. Normally he sleeps but do you think its safe? Oh I do not have a "factory" sound system in my car, my audio system was made especially for me and my music (rock/punk) so its louder than more cars. I don't care what it does to my hearing I love it. As far as I'm concerned headbanging is allowed at any age.

I tried to google this question but I'm getting mixed answers. Does anyone here know?

Thanks,
Melissa

Yes it will damage their ears just as it will human ears -- the structure of the ear is pretty delicate. Speaking as someone with permanent mild tinnitus most likely from loud concerts when I was younger, I'd really strongly advise against playing really loud music in an enclosed space. It doesn't have to be very loud to cause permanent damage.

This is an explanation for kids but is pretty good. If you have to raise your voice to be heard over your music, it will damage your hearing over time. And it will damage a dog's hearing.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/rock_music.html

And be sure to check this out - it gives some comparisons of how loud is loud:

http://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.php

Amplified Rock Music = 110-130bd Can damage hearing after 3.75 – 30 minutes exposure per day

Tinnitus is NOT worth it, believe me. It has driven some people to suicide -- constant noise all the time that only you can hear.

It would be kinder to leave Fletcher at home I think, or leave the music low for those journeys with him. (y)

Loud music is bad for everyone, especially if it is on a regular basis. I am a high school music teacher and at 30 I have tinitus which is a ringing in the ears due to hearing damage. Dogs hearing is much better than ours so if it it loud for us then it is really loud for them. Safe sound levels are under 80db which is the loudness of your vacuum cleaner.

Wow, ok thanks. No more loud music in the car with Fletcher or the kids!!!! Glad, I asked. I have always listen to my music loud I'm 36 and I know its bad for me. I go to a lot of concerts, I have a thing for live music and crazy sweaty fans headbanging............ but I do wear ear plugs (for the opening bands only). I do know the loud music is bad for me but it's one of the crazy things I do. My husband does car/home audio for a living so he has a meter, I need to figure out what volume number that is on the car radio and that will be the new max for the kids and Fletcher. As for me, ok yeah I know I'll try.

Thanks so much really, I'm so glad I have CT to ask these questions I guess it wasn't a stupid question after all.

Melissa

Agree with everything everyone else has said!!!!! Loud noises have been known to puncture eardrums, cause tinnitus, headaches. Why would you want to put your dog through that?

Tinnitus is NOT worth it, believe me. It has driven some people to suicide -- constant noise all the time that only you can hear.

Mine is severe. The constant noise in my ears has keeps me up most nights. I hear it day and night and it drives me absolutely bonkers!

I went to a free concert with my dog recently and i didnt want to be there and i had to plug my ears because it was hurting my ears i was right up front viding it while my dog was farther back. I barely ever go to concert or play loud music in a car because it gives me a headache.

Tails doesn't like music that's even a bit loud... Also he hates heavy metal or anything 'rocky'. I have also found that he hates trumpets and drums and seems to like best of all soft gentle warm singing. I have identified that his favorite singers are Burt Bacharach, Roger Whittaker and Jim Reeves. My research continues... :)

Melissa...you crack me up !!
Oh I remember the days !!! Years ago..I would play everything LOUD too! ( grew up in the 70'!!)
I have to admit..my 60 year old hubby still plays music loud! ( not so sure it is because he likes it that way..or he can't hear as well anymore icon_nwunsure....hehehe !!) :rotfl:
In answer to your question..yes.. I think it could not only hurt your pups ears..but also your children.
Any chance you could get yourself HEADPHONES.?...if "you" want to listen to it loudly?
Believe it or not.... certain music will either overly stimulate ( make a dog very anxious)..or calm them down. Much like us humans actually. Even the bass pumping ( w/ the speakers) isn't good for us!
I know I sound like an old lady, right?? ( well.. I guess I am..but "young at heart" !)
....but I would suggest tuning it down when the dog or your kids are with you.
Have a great day sweetie *!

Back