5th June 2012, 02:47 AM
You can kill the poison ivy with Round-Up if it hasn't gotten to the vine-growing-up-the-tree stage. If it's still just on the ground, it's killable.
Originally Posted by BeBe
5th June 2012, 03:50 AM
Dogs can't get the poison ivy rash...but YOU can by petting them. The residue remains on their coats if they walk thru it or brush up against any. If you have Poison Ivy, Poison Sumac Or Poison Oak around your property...it is always a good idea to have a wash rag handy and wipe them down soon as they come inside. ( we have woods at the back of our property & there is some back there..so I have to do this!)
If you are concerned..I would talk to your Vet...but my guess it is NOT a poison ivy rash your pup is dealing with...probably insect bites.
*Diane ~ Mom to~
Wrigley ( Cavalier)
Zeb ( Labrador)
& Jake ( Labradoodle)
5th June 2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions on possible causes. I have not heard of grass allergies but will be heading to the vet to find out what the scratching is coming from... It very likely could be grass or insects since it right around the "squat" area when she goes potty - great place to get bit or rub against grass. Also good to know on the roundup - I was going to ask the garden shop so good to get that question out of the way!!! The poison ivy is only on the ground and has not gotten going too much (I think the english ivy is keeping things covered up and making it difficult to get going).
Noelle, B.B., & Tucker
6th June 2012, 04:35 AM
BeBe - if you kill the poison ivy with Round-Up, or any similar chemical, be careful to *not* let it land on anything else. The stuff is strong enough to kill a tree. There have been times I have painted it onto an offending weed plant, to avoid spray fallout hitting a shrub I want to save.