• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Posion Ivy & Dogs?

BeBe

Has anyone heard of Cavies getting posion ivy? I found some in my back yard and was wondering if that rather then the occasional flea bite is the cause of BB's scratching. BTW, her scratching is not excessive and is centered on the back leg area, I have also found some small bumps but not enough to really be a rash.

I don't think they react to it, but I'd check with your vet. A vet can also verify if there's perhaps some flea dermatitis or other allergies happening.

Be sure to read up on syringomyelia as well -- it can cause anything from no, to mild, to aggravated scratching (and usually tends to worsen over time); to pretty much any part of the body including hindquarters (biting at hindquarters can also be an issue with SM). I would not overly worry if that is all you are seeing but it is essential that all cavalier owners be familiar with it as sadly the rate in the breed is so high. One of my SM dogs with a smallish syrinx mostly scratches and bites at her hind legs/feet/hindquarters. A lot of people think SM only causes scratching at the head or ears but this isn't true. But a lot of things have similar symptoms so it's good to check anything recurring out with a vet to make sure your dog is as comfortable as possible. :)

I'm not sure how dogs react to poison ivy or poison oak, but my friend's dogs would always get into poison oak on camping trips and it never seemed to bother them, but they would carry it on their coat or skin and it would get transferred to everyone who would pet them or cuddle them. My friend was highly sensitive to poison oak and had to go on steroids quite frequently the year they were always at this cabin. But I'm not sure if the ivy would cause little Bebe to scratch.

Hello BeBe

A long time age travelling from Cicincinatti to Chicago at night with my cousin Theresa her husband Kevin who is native to Chicago and our Steve ,we had to stop for
a call of nature and Kevin vaulted a low wall but didn't ralise there was a drop the other side and landed amongst a load of Poison Ivy at the bottom .

Look before you leap.!

Thanks all for the comments, perhaps this is flea dermatitis as Karlin mentions. I will also read up on SM and have read up in the past but obviously hope this is less serious.

When I had foster beagles we lived in a house with a HUGE back yard. Well, one summer I got a real bad case of poison ivy, my doctor put me on steroids to rid of it. Well it cleared up then came back (what...I have not been around any poison ivy) I know I'm really allergic to it I know what it looks like. So I ask my husband, hey have you seen any out around the yard, he said no. So, back to the doctor you another round of steroids, my doctor thinks I'm stupid or something and even has the nurse print out a flier about how the id poison ivy. Well, I leave the flier on the kitchen counter with a bunch of other junk mail...my husband reads the flier. Guess what I wasn't the stupid one he was, we had poison ivy growing all over the place towards the very back of the yard and guess how I was getting it.....yep the dogs. Beagles are hunting dogs so maybe their coat is different??? I don't know but they were not bothered at all.

Melissa

Too funny Melissa! I looked up some pictures and believe I have about 4 spots in the "natural" areas of my back yard. I think BB is running around and the itching is right around her inner thigh and tummy area where the hair is not so thick. I only found a few bumps though so as mentioned earlier - could be a flea allergy. Thank heavens I have not gotten any poison ivy from BB though!!!!! I am not sure I would have figured that one out :)

my understanding is dogs cannot get Poison Ivy, however, if they get it contact with it and pick up the oils they can give it to you.

I hope you find out what all the scratching is about, but I've been told on multiple occasions from different sources that dogs do not react to poison ivy like we do

Not sure about Cavaliers, but we once had a small terrier who developed a terrible case of poison ivy on his stomach and chest. Poor baby was really miserable for a few days till we got it cleared up

Has anyone heard of Cavies getting posion ivy? I found some in my back yard and was wondering if that rather then the occasional flea bite is the cause of BB's scratching. BTW, her scratching is not excessive and is centered on the back leg area, I have also found some small bumps but not enough to really be a rash.

Your dog might be suffering grass allergy.

Sophie has been biting and scratching like mad, starting ten days ago. The annual grass allergy has kicked in. Oh joy ... NOT! She never does this except June thru November. Once the Bermuda grass sends up those seed spikes, she is a mess. When the Bermuda grass goes dormant, our life returns to normal. I'm giving her Chlor-Trimeton for now (it is helping more than Benadryl did) and trying to keep her off yards with Bermuda grass when we walk.

The trainer where Sophie boards told me that one of his client's dogs is allergic to Fescue grass. Ugh . . .

I looked up some pictures and believe I have about 4 spots in the "natural" areas of my back yard.

You can kill the poison ivy with Round-Up if it hasn't gotten to the vine-growing-up-the-tree stage. If it's still just on the ground, it's killable.

Dogs can't get the poison ivy rash...but YOU can by petting them. The residue remains on their coats if they walk thru it or brush up against any. If you have Poison Ivy, Poison Sumac Or Poison Oak around your property...it is always a good idea to have a wash rag handy and wipe them down soon as they come inside. ( we have woods at the back of our property & there is some back there..so I have to do this!)
If you are concerned..I would talk to your Vet...but my guess it is NOT a poison ivy rash your pup is dealing with...probably insect bites.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions on possible causes. I have not heard of grass allergies but will be heading to the vet to find out what the scratching is coming from... It very likely could be grass or insects since it right around the "squat" area when she goes potty - great place to get bit or rub against grass. Also good to know on the roundup - I was going to ask the garden shop so good to get that question out of the way!!! The poison ivy is only on the ground and has not gotten going too much (I think the english ivy is keeping things covered up and making it difficult to get going).

BeBe - if you kill the poison ivy with Round-Up, or any similar chemical, be careful to *not* let it land on anything else. The stuff is strong enough to kill a tree. There have been times I have painted it onto an offending weed plant, to avoid spray fallout hitting a shrub I want to save.

Back