Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How small is too small

Post Thanks / Like

Default How small is too small

I feel like my boy is just too tiny. He's 23 weeks tomorrow, and weighs 6 pounds 10 oz (4.7 kg, if I did the conversion right). Our vet didn't seem worried, but I'm a neurotic dog mama. This is the best side picture I could get. He never stays still for pictures... Silly boy
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

He's cute! He looks good to me. From what I've read both here and other places online that's is better if your cavalier is a little leaner then a little on the chubby side. My Fletcher is 13 weeks old and weights about 8 lbs (sorry for the no converting). As long as he's eating good and your feeding a good diet I would just go with it. I think someone else posted pictures no long ago asking the same thing. Just like some people are bigger that others I guess that's true with cavaliers too.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He looks long and lanky, not at all unhealthy. He'll fill in as he matures. He will probably finish small, but he doesn't look or sound abnormal or unhealthy. My thistle is from quite large parents, and at 1.5 years she's a petite 13 pounds, I'm really not sure what happened there, but the worst health problem she's had is anal glands filling up quickly (touch wood).

Post Thanks / Like

We feed him a high quality kibble rated at a 5 star food on dog food analysis. He's on Fromm grain free game bird recipe. We just switched from TOTW, we had a recalled bag :-/. He was the runt of the litter. But I thought he'd catch up a bit. I guess he's just going to be a small boned petit guy.
    ~Shari mom to

Post Thanks / Like

He still might catch up. My 4 year old little boy only weighs 25 lbs. he wears a size 24 months pants and 2T shirts. We're hoping he grows one day. He eats alright... I try. For now I have him enrolled in gymnastic, little and brave/stupid gymastics sound good for him. My daughter was always small for your age (not as small as my son but...) now she's taller than me. Give him some more time, I'm sure he'll fill out some.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by My Henry Boy View Post
    He was the runt of the litter. But I thought he'd catch up a bit. I guess he's just going to be a small boned petit guy.
    I think he will likely just be small. As a comparison, my Lucky was 7.5 lbs at 10 weeks, and 17 lbs at 7 months! But he's a larger dog. He's 20 lbs now at nearly 6 years and very fit - at his highest weight he was 24 lbs (pre-diet!). You'll find adult Cavaliers vary greatly in size it's really tough to try to compare them. I know several Cavaliers that are quite a bit larger than Lucky and also a few that are significantly more petite.

As long as he appears healthy to you and the vet has not issued any cause for alarm, that is the important thing.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use this chart as my guideline. Not as useful for puppies--but it puts you as the decision maker about body condition and how much to feed, etc. http://www.purina.com/dog/weight-and...condition.aspx

The directions on the food bags have such wide ranges and I think often people are genuinely confused as to how muchntomfeed, and what their dog should look and feel like. Is your puppy eating well? Do you think he could eat a bit more? He looks very healthy in the photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My black and tan, that I had in the 1990s, never weighed more than 15lb. In retrospect, I think he had quite severe SM, but this was in the days before scanning was available and vets knew very much, so it was never diagnosed - but otherwise he was a tough as old boots, never had tummy upsets or anything like that, and lived to 10.5. Your boy will fill out a bit as he gets older, but if he's healthy I shouldn't worry - he'll probably reach the breed standard minimum of 12lb, so he'll be official!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

He's my first small dog, we have always had boxers, so the comparison of eating is strange for me. He is free fed and gets 3/4 cup of food in his bowl in the morning. He nibbles all day. Sone days he finishes it all, and others there is kibble left, but by 6:30 it gets dumped out. He gets training treats as we are potty training, so for every piddle he gets a small treat. He also gets some fresh veggies, depending on what I'm cooking that day. Broccoli seems to be a favorite. Carrots, not so much.
    I feel like his hip bones could use a bit of padding, but he seems happy and he's really energetic, with a silky shiny coat.
    ~Shari mom to

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He's on the slim side but will likely fill out quite a bit more. By the general guidelines, he is likely to be about twice or a bit more his current weight at adulthood, which is breed standard weight. Runts often catch up to the rest of the litter gradually, too and end up the average size of the litter. He's at the very lanky puppy stage now! If your vet feels he's fine, he likely is! On the other hand -- is he up on worming etc? This can lead to a thin puppy. Better lean than fat however for puppies and adults.

One note: trainers and vets really advise never to freefeed dogs but especially, this breed. It can create eating problems and lead to obesity (very common in this breed, which genetically seems to have no 'off' switch once adult age). But also it makes it very hard for an owner to be able to judge a valuable sign of illness -- lack of appetite, etc. Also, it makes it harder to use treats for rewards as the dog is just grazing all day -- and creates an expectation of food all day long. If such a dog goes into the vet for a stay or a kennel, they also will not get food left out all day for them and this can leave them hungry. It's also a real pain/issue when travelling and they don't have all day to meander with their food.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com