• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question ?? - Opinions? Does diet have anything to do w/ this?

DZee

Another member mentioned on another thread how she was getting her dogs "anal glands" squeezed about once a month. Well... we too have this problem.
We are calling & taking our dogs into the Vet about every 6 weeks. :blabla: Actually our Cavalier and & black Lab both have to have this done. I asked our Vet if it had anything to do with the food ..and was told not necessarily...as some dogs are just more susceptible to this. :confused:

I also started sprinkling a bit of fiber ( Metamucil) on their food. It won't hurt them...and it has helped a little.
My question...how many other on here deal w/ this?..and do you think it IS due to their diet? Opinions???
We feed Canidae...which is grain free..and a 4star food. I also give them Omega 3 capsules ( just good for the heart!) I take them myself ;)

It is very common with cavaliers -- I had never even heard of having to do this when we had larger dogs; my partner's large dog has never ever had anal glands emptied. Cavaliers and other toy breeds are bred to be smaller than would be the norm for dogs, and vets say it's likely their anal glands are often a bit too small to express normally for many dogs and thus they need them emptied. A lot of us have dealt with ruptured anal glands as well -- not very pleasant. Groomers will do anal glands, if you take your dog in to groomers. Changes in diets to add a bit more roughage does help sometimes -- I've never noticed it to make much difference. But mine do not have many issues -- certainly have never had to have them done that regularly (more like once or twice a year, just when I go to the vet).

Please just be sure you have cleared giving metamucil with your vet (and get a suggested dosage as cavaliers are tiny compared to the recommended dosage on the package)-- it isn't approved for dogs and cats and has (rarely!) been known to cause intestinal blockages in them, which can then become an emergency. But it seems like it is fairly harmless. Most people add other forms of roughage rather than metamucil (first time I have heard of anyone adding it -- and it will cost a lot more than just adding, say, oat bran). For example you can crumble some shredded wheat, or give a teaspoon or two of oat bran daily. Metamucil is pretty intense! You'd need to be sure your dog is drinking plenty of water if you are giving it.

http://www.vetinfo.com/metamucil-for-dogs-with-diarrhea.html#b

Thanks for the reply. Yes.. the Vet actually recommended the Metamucil. They assured us it is not harmful at all. We give only a teeny bit to our Cavalier...and a teaspoon to our lab. I may try the bran cereal and see if that works.
Honestly...we have raised large dogs for many years..and "never" had issues with this until we got our labrador 3 yrs. ago. Go figure???
Now w/ Wrigley ( our Cavalier)..as I mentioned..they "both" have to have this done.
When we had our dogs on a different dog food...they seemed to not have as much of this problem.
BUT..I want to feed a good healthy diet to our dogs. So just not sure what the cause?..or the answer is?

We had an anal gland issue with our boxer. We were also giving Metamucil by the vets advice. But I don't remember the dose. We did take him off it after a few months though. We had been bringing him in weekly to have his glands emptied and as the time inbetween them actually being able to express anything lengthened we cut out the additional Metamucil.

My understanding is that the firmness of the poop is the key. If moderately firm, the glands are naturally expressed during elimination. Mthe glands provide a scent that helps mark areas and provide info to other dogs. The reason like to snif poop! Ick. :).

The Metamucil should work because it provides bulk. Personally, I'd be more inclined to change the diet (through additives or a new food) than put the dog through routine anal gland expression which is uncomfortable for them.

We used to have to go in quite regularly too, we changed out dog food for that reason, and added in some low fat Natual yogurt after some tummy problems. The change in their poo has been huge, and now we have less trips to the vet, at least less trips to do anal glands anyway :p

I added Honest Kitchen's Perfect Form to BB's diet and she has stopped having running stools!

Thank you all for the replies. I don't know what the answer is...but I think I may try some of your suggestions. As far as their stools go..both of them ( not to be gross) have normal stools. Neither too soft or too firm.

Back