Thread: Stinky breath

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stinky breath

Henry has very stinky breath. Like knock your socks off, eeew.
    He eats high quality dry kibble. He gets a raw veggie treat at night when I
    Fixing dinner. We don't do canned wet foods. And he gets some small crunchy training treats.
    Would brushing his teeth help this much? How often should I brush his teeth. Or is it something worse, that I may be missing?
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

I asked a question about brushing a dogs teeth a bit ago and I was told it made a big difference. I talked to my vet too she said its a good idea to get puppies used to it ASAP I brush Fletcher's teeth every other night. Search for my post on that someone even recommended sometime called....oh let me remember Petzlife gel no brushing needed. Other than better breathe clean teeth are good for their over all health and may help you avoid expensive professional cleanings or you can go longer in between them.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

I need to go to the pet store tomorrow and see what I can get him. I'm also not sure if his overbite is causing it too, with all his teeth not crunching the kibbles and bones.
    I'll post an update on the brushing fiasco. I know already it will be :fun: lol
    ~Shari mom to

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked the folds of his mouth?

It's probably a little harder with a black/tan compared to a blenheim like ours. Misty's skin folds can get quite red, and give off an odour if we don't clean around her mouth. We now also use Dentisept around the folds, and in her mouth too:
    http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Dentisept...nfo/DENTISEPT/
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If he's only 23 weeks and has bad breath, you really probably need a vet visit as that isn't normal. On an older dog, the main culprit would typically be tooth decay and gingivitis, needing a dental; but in a puppy who will still have primariy puppy teeth (which really only need practice brushing as they are going to come out, but good to train him to tolerate brushing) the most likely reason -- assuming he isn't getting into a cat litter box or finding cat poop outside, which will REALLY cause bad breath in the hours after they eat it -- is probably health related.

Thus you really need a vet to have a look. Worms could cause bad breath. Teething could cause bad breath. Some GI disorders. Eating his own poop or that of other dogs, or of cats. Lots for you to eliminate but if poop eating isn't a very obvious answer, then you *do* need a trip to the vet. You cannot buy anything that will address this. Store bought wormers are not very good (and some have had high levels of dangerous reactions).

PS Often people have not adequately wormed their puppy (they need it done several times; many are born with worms from the mother) -- the best and safest wormers are from the vet's office so again, a vet visit is probably in line.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

He's not a poop eater, and he's the only animal so no cat boxes. He's been wormed several times. But I will call and bring him into the vet this week. He has a mix of puppy teeth and secondary teeth. They don't look decayed and his gums look good. I'm hoping it's an easy fix like worms. I'll update this week.
    ~Shari mom to

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    If you are going to use a product like Petzlife pls use it on a toothbrush as there is no substiute for brushing .Have a look at some of my old posts
    on teeth ,we have been using Petzlife and other products since my girls were all pups and I clean their teeth every night with an assortment of stuff
    but Petzlife and Logic gel are two of the best .

Best Wishes

brian
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, update time we had a 3pm est vet visit.
    They tested his poop for worms, and checked him all over.
    He does need two baby teeth pulled out, but that's not what they think is causing the bad breath.
    We have been given a toothbrush and some chicken flavored toothpaste.
    We have also noticed and discussed his eating habits. We don't think he likes his food, as he skip meals and eat very little. So we were advised to switch his food to see if he eats more. It may be just stomach acids that we ate smelling.
    Today we went and got new food and started the transition, he ate out all the new food and left the old ... So that may be some of the issue.
    I'll keep updating as we get any progress.
    ~Shari mom to

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you're playing the game of bribing him to eat: I have found a sunny-side up egg solves most problems. (stir it in so the runny yolk coats the food with little bits of egg white scattered throughout.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new, but really, you should get in the habit of brushing your dog's teeth daily. My guy is 3, and I have been brushing daily since March. His breath is really less stinky, and the vet was able to tell when we went today that I have been brushing his teeth. Most of those gels are useless, and really won't do the job that brushing will do.
    http://www.vohc.org/
    That's the veterinary oral health council page. They do give some products a seal of approval, so you can see what products might be helpful there.