• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A dog's love...

DZee

Some dogs are just special. A person is truly blessed if they can say they have had more than one “special” dog in their life. I think I am one of those people.
Without going into too much detail..I hope you don’t mind if I share.
Nine years ago ( while working as a Bank Teller) I started experiencing numbness on the right side of my body. It got to the point my legs would collapse while trying to walk.
I also had wide spread pain throughout my body. My doctor sent me to Mayo Clinic.
For those outside the U.S… it is one of the BEST w/ doctors of the highest quality.
At first they thought I had MS..but after numerous tests… I was diagnosed w/ Lupus, neuropathy & fibromyaglia. I am not here to talk about my illness though ( as thank the Lord…I now am in remission as of 2 yrs ).
What I would like to tell you about is our Rottweiler. Her name was Zelda .
She has since passed over to Rainbow Bridge..but she was very special. She may have scared you to look at her...but she was just a huge sweetheart. Her devotion was like nothing I have ever seen. When I was at my worst..she would literally never leave my side. She would lie beside me ( with her head across my chest) all day as if she just could sense exactly how I was feeling. I remember one afternoon while in the hall-way feeling as if my legs were going to collapse...she butted her entire body against me so I wouldn’t fall. She let me hold on to her and we slowly walked to the phone for me to call my husband. She was just tuned into to me. And wow.. she was smart. You told her something one time..and she understood. Most obedient dog we have ever had.
( She better of been, right?.... you don’t want a dis-obedient Rottweiller that’s for sure !!) Anway..long story short..she was very special.
I think she would of laid down her life to protect me. In a way...she did.
All that time I was ill..never did I realize what she too was going through pain.
If there was anything wrong physically..she would NEVER let you know. She hid it very well. . One tough lady.
One day when our daughter came over for a visit...she knelt down to hug her and said…
“ Mom…have you felt her stomach?” I asked...”Why?” And she said…” She has a huge abdominal mass…her stomach is hard as a rock!” Zelda was a big girl...solid muscle ..so it wasn’t something I noticed. Next day we took her to the Vet..and it was comfirmed. The X-ray showed a tumor so large that it has pushed most of her organs up into her chest leaving little room for her to breath. The tumor was the size of a football! Needless to say…my husband & I sat & cried. I felt I failed her by not noticing sooner! Vet said she would probably only last a month at most. Perhaps we should of put her down...but we brought her home & tried to keep her as pain free as we could. She lasted 5 more months. She taught me something. She cared more about me than herself. Here she was an animal...but her LOVE exceeded mine. That says a lot.
June 8[SUP]th[/SUP] marks 3 years that she will be gone..and I still miss her.
She was one special dog.
We have been blessed w/ MANY other wonderful dogs throughout our lives as well.
Each one being special in their own way.
Our golden retriever ( Zeke) was special too. He was one big lover boy that lived to retrieve! He would do it all day long if you let him. Kind of a “blonde”...as sometimes he wasn’t too bright...but he was just a sweet ‘ole guy!! He too passed away only 6 months ago.. Cancerous growths throughout his body. I still cry when I see a Golden Ret....as most of them look like him.
Funny...I always thought a person was “lucky” if they had one dog in their life they could say was “special”..but I have to say….> We have been blessed over & over & over.
We now have our black Labrador ( Zeb) and our little Cavalier ( Wrigley).
I could share all their attributes with you..but I will just say this > The love that has formed in our hearts w/ these two is more than I can put into words.
They too are extra special !! I cannot imagine life without them.
I am sure you feel the same about your furry friends. Isn’t it amazing? :lotsaluv:
Tell me about it.... :)

*Diane

To Karlin ~
Maybe this thread should of been in the " Memorial" section?...if so...please feel free to move it.

Diane thank you so much for sharing your stories - so moving and beautifully told x

We too have been blessed with some wonderful companions so I do understand.

I hope you are keeping better these days - I too have Fibromyalgia - and Trigeminal Neuralgia, strange how often neuropathy and FM occur together. Do you remember the Waltons? The lady who played Erin has Lupus [and says about Fibromyalgia being a part of it?] this is her website http://www.marymcdonough.com/book-lessons-from-the-mountain/ my friends just read the book and were showing parts of it to me. I'm sure you know this site too http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/a...poon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/ I found that helpful for explaining to others.

I will indeed move this to In memoriam.

Hi Diane,

What a beautiful story , I too have had health issues for 2.5 years ( I was diagnosed with CFS/ME - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and 9 years ago we were fortunate to have a special cavalier Scooby come into our lives , he had serious health issues right from the start but he was a one off , the bond me and him shared was amazing , he was my best friend and constant companion until we lost him to MVD october 2011.

I believe that when life deals you tough blows it also sends you a special gift in the form of a dog to give you joy and happiness to balance your life....

XX

Thank you ladies...
I am so sorry to hear that you both struggle w/ constant physical pain. I will keep you both in prayer!
I thank the Lord that I am in what the doctors call " remission". I have a wonderful Rheumatologist. When first diagnosed... I was on soooo many medications ( prescribed by a different doctor) that I felt like a walking zombie! This Rheumatologist tries more natural approaches ( so my med.'s have been cut in half!)...and it has helped me tremendously.
My hopes are that I remain in remission for the rest of my life !!
Funny how when we are healthy ( and I was for the 1st 40+ years of my life)...that sometimes we just take it for granted.
I know I did anyway. You really re-evaulate priorities when faced with daily struggles.
And Nicki...I wanted to mention to you that 3/4 of my family are from Scotland. Came to the U.S. years ago from Hamilton/Lanarkshire. I grew up with all the scottish traditions..and I "treasure" that I was able to experience it all. Bagpipes..tea and shortbread ( my Grandma made the BEST!!)...dancing the highland fling...you name it !! :D
Have a few cousins that still live near the Edinbourgh (sp?) area.
And smartsden99... I agree w/ you 100% about our dogs. I do believe God places them in our lives at just the right time. Life would sure be dull without them. Yes..they bring so much joy and fullfillment...that those that live without them are missing a real blessing.
We love ours like family...cuz they ARE !! :l*v:

Thank you for such a wonderful story. I would certainly consider it a tribute/memorial to your beautiful dog (s).

I am so happy to hear that you are in remission! I never knew that lupus could go into remission! But God has blessed you, that is for sure.

Hi Diane,
That is the most lovely story and what a special dog you had ...a guardian angel. I can hardly hold the tears back. Thank you for sharing your story x

Thank you for such a wonderful story. I would certainly consider it a tribute/memorial to your beautiful dog (s).

I am so happy to hear that you are in remission! I never knew that lupus could go into remission! But God has blessed you, that is for sure.

Oh yes.. it took awhile..but the Lupus certainly can go into remission. They have came a long way in the treatment. Say 20 years ago..it was more or less terminal...but not so anymore..praise God*. Have asked the doctor to agree w/ me that I stay in remission for the rest of my life. That is my prayer.

Back