Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doggie tears

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and keep us updated!!!
    Noelle, B.B., & Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeBe View Post
    Good luck and keep us updated!!!
    Gotta say.. I am kind of excited about something I found out.
    Don't mean to talk about my illness (Lupus, etc.)... but after being on sooo many med.'s for so long I prefer going the natural approach to helping my body ( if at all possible). Anyway...My Vet and I are pretty good friends ( so she knows about me)..and she knows I prefer to do that w/ our dogs too. So talked to them today about Wrigley's wet eyes.
    She told me that giving him a little apple cider vinegar ( about 1/2 teaspoon ) in his water bowl every day will help eliminate the watery eyes. I had to laugh...because I use it every day. My Rhuemotolgist said I could try it ( helps boost the immune system)..and I also use it for my kidney function. Believe it or not..it has helped me.
    My Vet and I are pretty good friends..and she knows
    It is also a immune system booster.
    I just find is amazing all the things we have available to us that are simple solutions...rather than spending a whole lot of $$ on a man made product that may or may not help. Going to certainly try it !!!

P.S..... The garlic/ yeast biscuits for fleas that was posted by another member...*EXCELLENT*!!
    I use K9 Advantage...and it has always worked well for me. We have woods behind the house so I want something that will repels ticks too..but was happy to see the recipe for the garlic biscuits! ~
    Just another F.Y.I. though ~ Apple cider vinegar is ALSO a natural repellant for FLEAS..as they do not like to bite into an animal with an acidic system inside and out !!
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Runny eyes are pretty common with the breed because their eyes are artificially large. Many find that while this is quite prevalent in puppies, it tends to go away or minimise when the dog's skull reaches adult size. In other words the runniness often decreases over time anyway. I have heard a breeder say she feels this is because their eyes then more properly fit the skull but that's a guess. However many have runny eyes all the time and this can be gently cleansed away from the eye fur (never rub anything like a cotton pad on the eye itself, but carefully cleansing away from the direction of the eye). There are products available for doing this, or just used a lightly dampened cotton pad, NO soap. The dampness can cause dark or reddish deposits in the fur which are said to be yeast growth and can get slightly smelly.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Excessive tearing can also be caused by blocked, narrow, or even missing tear ducts, and your vet should be able to do a simple test to see if there's a possible problem. One of my Cavaliers has had really runny eyes from the time I got him and they didn't improve after he'd finished teething. The vet was able to clear his tear ducts which apparently are very narrow, and his weepiness has decreased dramatically.

You can also dab a little bit of Vaseline under the eyes (avoid the eye itself, and gently rub it down the path of the tear stains) which will help keep the skin underneath the eyes dry and the dog more comfortable - salty tears can sting.

Rosemary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    Excessive tearing can also be caused by blocked, narrow, or even missing tear ducts, and your vet should be able to do a simple test to see if there's a possible problem. One of my Cavaliers has had really runny eyes from the time I got him and they didn't improve after he'd finished teething. The vet was able to clear his tear ducts which apparently are very narrow, and his weepiness has decreased dramatically.

You can also dab a little bit of Vaseline under the eyes (avoid the eye itself, and gently rub it down the path of the tear stains) which will help keep the skin underneath the eyes dry and the dog more comfortable - salty tears can sting.

Rosemary
    Thank you Rosemary... I will try a tiny bit of the vaseline. I never thought of the salt/yeast in the tears actually stinging..but that makes sense.
    Hoping things will improve after the teething & perhaps the ACV will help too....
    But next time I take him for his anal glands ( which will probably be in a few weeks)..going to have them check his eyes as well.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't really thought about stinging either, it was the vet who mentioned it! I was more concerned with the possible problems permanently wet fur/skin might cause...

Fingers crossed that your young man grows out of his tears.

Rosemary