• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

And how about we add FLEAS to my week???

MomObvious

Yep, even tho I treated Flether with K9 Advantix 3 weeks ago I found 2 fleas on him this evening. Nice.....what do they say when it rains it pours??? Well, I feel like I've been hit by a whole waterfall this week. So I broke down and called my brother-in-law, the vet and he told me the best flea shampoo. So out to the pet store I go lucky they carry exactly the brand I was told to buy. Both dogs have had a flea bath now and we're going to switch to Frontline next week. But he said the fleas are so bad this year.
I have a feeling the fleas came from Fletcher's extended vet visit the other day. No worries, they took great care of my puppy and did not charge me an arm and a leg. It happens...

I think I'm going to do some reading about that garlic thing tho, anyone have any opinions?????

Melissa

Always great to go more natural, sorry your week has been so bad! The good news is - no where to go but UP!

Always great to go more natural, sorry your week has been so bad! The good news is - no where to go but UP!

That's right, looking forward to a relaxing weekend and next week being better.

Yeah I want to go natural with preventing or getting rid of fleas but since we're in fleas season already and I have not done enough research about it I'm going the "conventional" route for now.

Melissa

I haven't yet purchased any Advocate for fleas this year, but I do give the crew a garlic capsule every morning and they also have a home made garlic biscuit for breakfast. I haven't seen one single flea on any of the five of them. All the dog walking people are complaining that there are lots of fleas about and I have seen several dogs scratching when I've taken any of mine to the vets, but no fleas at all on my dogs. I have no idea whether it's coincidence or not but worth a try maybe?

Can you gove us the recipe for your home made garlic biscuits please Flo.

I have been giving my dogs for years Dorwest garlic and Fenugreek Tablets and never had a
problem with fleas until last year when I forgot to order them and decided to see what
happened. Yes the dogs got fleas. The dogs are now back on the tablets.

Nanette

Can you gove us the recipe for your home made garlic biscuits please Flo.

I have been giving my dogs for years Dorwest garlic and Fenugreek Tablets and never had a
problem with fleas until last year when I forgot to order them and decided to see what
happened. Yes the dogs got fleas. The dogs are now back on the tablets.

Nanette

Hi,

Here's the recipe:

1 egg
1 cup plain flour
4 cloves fresh garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8th of a cup seeds such as Pumpkin or Sunflower
1/4 cup warm water

Mix everything together in a blender or food processer then add enough warm water to make a firm dough. When the mix forms a ball is just about right.
Work the dough with your hands on a floured board until it is smooth then roll out with a rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes. I use a large pastry cutter and give one to each dog for breakfast. Place on a non stick baking tray and bake at 170C or equivalent for about 20 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Then turn off the heat and leave in the oven until cold. I find the dogs make an awful fuss when they know the biscuits are cooked so I cool and give them one each while still hot, turning the others into a metal tin with a tight fitting lid, then storing the tin in a closed cupboard.

I LOVE this forum !!! ...and all the info. you all share ~ thanks for doing so *
Due to my own health issues....the natural approach has been something I have researched and come to love.
As much as it helps us as humans..it also helps our furry friends.
Besides the benefits of garlic as a flea preventive...it also helps the immune system, liver function and cardiovascular.

Another thing I have found that works wonders is apple cider vinegar. I use it myself ( teaspoon a day) to help my kidney function..but I also found out something VERY interesting today from our Vet.
Gonna share in my " Doggie tears" thread ! *smile*

Last edited:
Okay..thought I would just post it here as well....
Apple cider vinegar is ALSO a natural repellant for FLEAS..as they do not like to bite into an animal with an acidic system inside and out !!
... just make sure it is ACV..and not white vinegar !!.....
Depending on the weight..about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon is their water bowl every day should help ! ( and it is also a wonderful immune system booster!) When going to the dog park...or somewhere around other pets..take a spray bottle with you and spray you dog before & after. They might smell a bit..but it sounds worth it *!!!

Yeah the shampoo my bro-in-law said to get did NOT work!!!!!! So I called my vet, both dogs got an Rx pill for fleas, Eddie got one pill that should last 30 days (didn't even know something like that existed) and Fletcher got 2 pills for yesterday and today then Frontline tomorrow.

So for anyone counting that was a total of 3 vet visits in one week!!!! Nice, I love them tho.

So honestly I think I'm going to talk to my vet since we have an appt next week (for rabies shot) if its safe to use natural and conventional approaches for fleas. I have never had fleas EVER I have always used K9 Advantix since forever. I am crazy careful about giving my dogs the Advantix on time, I'm the same with heartworm meds. Yes, year round.

People keep telling me its because we had a warm winter. We really did, only like 2 frosty mornings all winter.....so FYI if you live farther south that I do MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU:bang:

Melissa (a.k.a. the flea killer)

In order to work flea shampoo must be lathered up, and then left to soak for 5 minutes.

There are actually 2 different brands of 30 day pills. I have used both, and love them. I buy the ones that are combined with heartworm meds. Those are sentinel, and trifexis (fleas plus heartworm). The trifexis is better against fleas (I live in new Orleans, "flea heaven"), but considerably more expensive. The sentinel is very good, but wasn't lasting a whole month this year.

I did the lather wait 5 minutes thing and I started at his neck since I was scared to get it in eyes, I did get the ears tops pretty good. However, our poodle who we normally keep cut naked is pretty fuzzy now.

Yeah I have heard of trifexis but does it work for ticks?

Melissa

Back