• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spangle is limping really badly!

Do hope poor Spangle is a bit better and you don't have to take her for x-rays. Try and enjoy your holiday :)

Thank you again. I took Spangle back to the vets again today just to be checked over before our/her holidays. She has improved quite a bit. The vet gave me 3 Corphodyl (spelling) tablets to give her for the next 3 days and told me to tell her breeder to try to keep resting her as much as possible!
So, I have had a long chat with Spangle and told her that she must do as she is told whilst she is with her sister, mum and aunty and not tear around the house and garden at 90 miles an hour!!!
She didn't look too impressed!
She goes at 10.00 tomorrow, but we don't leave until Sat morning. I really hate being in the house without her, it just does not feel right. Due to illness, hers and mine and other factors I haven't spent a night apart from her in about 14 months.
Scary!

Great news! I can imagine how hard it will be for you to leave her, but you're leaving her in good hands. Enjoy your holiday and try not to miss her too much. I know, easier said than done!

I hope you and Spangles both enjoy your holidays, sounds like you will be having the separation anxiety lol. Great news that she is improving :)

Thank you again. I took Spangle back to the vets again today just to be checked over before our/her holidays. She has improved quite a bit. The vet gave me 3 Corphodyl (spelling) tablets to give her for the next 3 days and told me to tell her breeder to try to keep resting her as much as possible!
So, I have had a long chat with Spangle and told her that she must do as she is told whilst she is with her sister, mum and aunty and not tear around the house and garden at 90 miles an hour!!!
She didn't look too impressed!

Scary!

So glad Spangle is improving. Sounds like she will have lots of fun while you are away. Since we had Harley who is 4 now I never have been separated from my three.

Oh gosh Sabby then my 13 months together with Spangle is nothing in comparison!
She's been gone 4 hours now and it is so quiet and still in the house!
She isn't a noisy dog at all but it's strange how silent it is.
Packed our wellies, plastic macs and lots to read, that should just about cover it!!!

I do hope you have a wonderful holiday, that the wellies aren't needed and the books are all a great read.

I wholeheartedly sympathise with how you feel. I am going on holiday in a few weeks and I have never had such a stressful time.

I have dogsitters coming to stay and I was anxious enough, having an ageing population of dogs, some with special needs and on various medication, but what I now need to ask the sitters to do is far beyond what I had imagined would be necessary.

The upshot is I don't want to go and I really regret agreeing in January that I would holiday abroad with the family.

My very precious Tommy, having been saved from euthanasia at the last moment by a diagnosis of pancreatitis and a change to a low fat diet( he was on a high fat diet for kidney disease ) then had to be given a dental. He was slow recovering and he remained reluctant to eat for a long time. He is much brighter now and has begun to eat better, but I still need to hand feed him his special diet to get him started.
Tommy sleeps soundly but always senses when I have moved away and within minutes he will come to find me.

On the Jubilee Bank Holiday Monday my little Japanese Chin, Dandy, slipped a disc and needed emergency surgery. He has to be on strict crate rest for 4 weeks and gradual 15 minutes out of the cage at a time for the next 3-4 weeks. The MRI showed he has a lot of other discs that are protruding so it is very important that he is managed carefully. He needs physiotherapy exercises three times a day and must be kept harnessed when carried out for his five minute toilet breaks; hiis care is very time consuming.
He is another that considers I am his safety net so he cries when he cannot see or hear me.

Some of the others also give concern. Fonzi is ageing and in the last couple of weeks has near enough given up coming for even a short stroll. His appetite is erratic.
Bridgette has to have a special diet to prevent bladder stones forming. She is very quick, very dominant and needs to be carefully watched as she shamelessly mugs the others for their food and treats.

It is a lot to ask of anyone who does not know my dogs.

Kind and experienced cavalier friends, who I know will give the poorly pair all the care they need, have offered to have Tommy & Dandy while I am away but I am worried that a change in their familiar surroundings, as well as a change of carer, may make things even worse for my two invalids.

Great news about Spangle :) hopefully that makes you feel a bit better about going away Christine. I'm sure her breeder will take good care of her and hopefully make her rest.

Margaret, I'm so very sorry, what an absolute nightmare for you :( Very difficult as you don't want to let your family down, but your loyalties must be terribly divided.

I wish we were nearer, we would try to help. It is so very hard having a houseful of oldies, esp at times like these. I'm sure your carers will take very good care of all your beloved companions, I know it won't be the same as you being there and they will miss you, but with love and care they will be ok.

Try to relax and enjoy your holiday so you come back fully refreshed and can cope again with the difficulties you face. I'm sure you will be leaving instructions what to do if someone is poorly etc.

Christine, I hope you relax and have a wonderful time on holiday. I am sure Spangly will be fine and having her own fun holiday. We look forward to hearing your news when you return.

Hi Christine

Have a lovely holiday and I bet the sun shines next week ,I am sure Spangly will miss you as much as you miss him but he will
be fine and waiting to give you tons of licks on your return .

I have a 12 yr old female cavalier who started having a problem with her front left paw. I looked and couldn't find a problem. Sometimes, as they have webbed paws they get ingrown hairs that cause the paw to swell, making them lick it.
sometimes it causes a cyst that will burst which relieves the swelling. Had several vet offer several solutions. After much searching I used a combination of metacam( is like Advil for dogs) and Benadryl to relieve pain and swelling. I soaked the paw in Epsom salts with small amount of betadine disinfectant then dried the paw. If cyst burst go to your pharmacy and pick up Tinactin spray not liquid as these cysts are usually a combination of bacterial infection and Tinactin will kill the fungal discharge. My girl was total at fine the next day. Her pad and top part of her paw were very swollen and this worked. She has had them reoccur on both front paws and this helps greatly and will save hundreds of dollars in vet bills.

Back