• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Murphy freaked out last night

murphy's mum

We've been away to Fort William for the weekend, so Misty and Murphy stayed with my MIL. She's watched them before, and apart from Misty having more pills, it's the same routine as always. There were no problems to report when we picked them up yesterday around 11ish, and we spent the rest of they day relaxing on the couch :cool:

We put them to bed around 11 last night, same routine, out in the garden, and then pills and veg for Misty, and a biscuit for Murphy. Well.... Murphy totally freaked out, he was scrapping the bars of the baby gate like crazy, frantic to get past it. We ignored him, but then heard him whimpering and I decided to come downstairs. He was in a right state! He had been drooling, so his chest and chin we soaked, he was breathing really hard, and he was shaking like mad. Then I noticed there was blood on the floor, it turns out he'd caught his dew claw. So I'm sitting at midnight doing first aid to Murphy, the dew claw hadn't came right but there was a lot of blood, but we got it stopped and got him settled back in his bed. I closed the kitchen door this time, and went upstairs again, he scrapped at it a couple of times, and then settle down.

We were in to the vets at 0910 to get him check out, although the bleeding had stopped last night, the nail was still hanging on at an odd angle. So he's now had it removed, it started bleeding badly again afterwards so he had a big blue bandage on his leg at the moment.
photo1-2.jpg

Poor wee man, I don't know what set him off last night. It seemed more than just the change in his routine, we're not quite sure what to think, but we're just glad he's okay.

Oh poor fellow! (and poor you, that must have been stressful). Hope he heals up quickly after all of that.

Poor Murphy. Look at his little face he doesn’t look happy. Sounds like a nightmare. Could you see some blood where he might have caught it downstairs? Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Poor baby. Hope he heals fast, I'm sure you were freaked out after that too. Good thing you have those first aid things on hand. When I put together a first aid kit just for Fletcher my husband thought I was crazy but you just never know when your going to need it. FYI those same bandages work great for kids too, I keep extra in my house for them too. My kids hate band-aids I know most kids love them but mine and weird.

Melissa

Poor Murphy:(
Hope he's feeling better soon...those dew claws are a bother sometimes!

Thanks everyone, we're all calmer now. He's finding it hard walking in the bandage, but we can take it off tomorrow morning, it was just to put pressure on the wound. It needs to be bathed in salt water all week after we take off the bandage.

I still can't see where he's caught it. They sleep in the kitchen so there are two beds, 4 chairs and a table(all smooth varnished wood) and the baby gate. The baby gate is a white painted metal one, again it's smooth. He was pretty frantic, so I'm wondering if it's was the fact he was scratching so hard, for so long, at the gate that he's ripped it? We had been trying to ignore him, hoping he's settle down, but I'm so glad I came down to see what the fuss was. It was so out of character for him. I mean he's six now, and well used to sleeping in the kitchen. He kicked off after Christmas when we ditched the two small beds, in favour of one large bed, as Misty normally piles in with him anyway. We thought it would give him more space, but it upset him, and for a week he scratched at the gate and wuffed at bed time, but nothing like last night. We did cave on the bed situation, and just bought two new cushions for the old small beds.

I hope he settles okay tonight :xfngr:

Oh poor little chap. He does look very sorry for himself in the photo's. Here's hopeing for a speedy recovery.

Awe...Praying for a quick recovery for him !
It is amazing the facial expressions a Cavalier has...and he does look so very sad !
...hugs.. to Murphy and mommy too ! ... :hug:

Aw poor Murphy, though he looks very cute with his big blue bandage :0 I wonder does losing a dew claw feel the same to a dog as losing a nail would to us humans? If it does, it would have been very painful, poor pet.

hi
what a sad face murphy has(but beautiful) hope he has a speedy recovery
louie has jumped up at me when i've come in from shopping and caught his dew claw on my clothes and snaped part of it of
so now i keep them short

Got his wee bandage off, and bathed his wound. It's lovely and clean, and now that his bandage is off he's much happier :D

He went to bed no problem last night thank god. We never heard a sound from him all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh what a scare :( poor wee fellow. Dew claw injuries are extremely painful so that would be why he was in such a state.

He looks so sad with his bandage :( so pleased that he has had it removed now. They are amazing how they can injure themselves sometimes - I guess like us they can have accidents anywhere.

Thats good news! Paw lad! glad he's a happier fella again, must of hurt like blue blazes at the time-the last time i ripped a toe nail off i couldnt walk for 2 days! ive done the same toe nail 4 times now,i never learn not to open fridge door over bare toes-doh!

Thats good news! Paw lad! glad he's a happier fella again, must of hurt like blue blazes at the time-the last time i ripped a toe nail off i couldnt walk for 2 days! ive done the same toe nail 4 times now,i never learn not to open fridge door over bare toes-doh!

Tupup, that really made me cringe.

Glad poor Murphy is feeling better.

Back