• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help!! Should i or shouldn't i rehome little cavalier

I would love some advice from the cavalier forum.

I have been offered to rehome a little ruby cavalier from a lady who has had a relationship split and the cavalier is left at home all day. Its left in a make shift cage under the stairs and this is for many hours at a time.

She originally told me that the cavalier had been vaccinated, kc reg, microchipped and health checked. The cavalier is 18 months old.

I asked the women if she was happy for my vets to have the vets records passed over. I also asked for proof of vaccinations and microchipping. To cut a long story short, It has been unveiled that the little girl has only ever had her first jab from the breeder and there has been no other jabs or health check done by this women. I am livid and she has been told too i am not happy she has lied but i feel soooooo sorry for the poor dog. Its really bothering me.

I can give this dog a good home and i am financially secure. I would never dream of not taking my dogs for there jabs. I keep thinking about this poor little dog and i have seen the dog to make it 100 times worse. Its clear she does not give a toss about the dog. People like this make me sick to my stomach :mad:

What would you do people?

Take her today!!!!!!!!! Now..... I would pick her up from this woman and immedately take her to your vet, in my opinion I would want her health checked out and a plan with my vet to get up to date with all her shots before she came into my house (you have another baby to think about too). I would step in and take her period and not look back. Even if, touch wood, she is somehow sick you can still help her, I understand financially that might not be the "smartest" thing to do but I would do it.

Honestly, I was given a chance to help a cavalier like this once (the lady who had him didn't even know his correct breed name-but turns out it was a cavalier a tri) he was being kept in the lady's backyard only and was pretty shy. I didn't take him, I jumped on this forum and PM'ed someone with "rescue experence" she said get him. But when I tried to reach the lady I couldn't, I even went to her house checked the backyard. I have no idea what happened to the scared little guy and I regret not taking him fast enough.

I promised myself I would NEVER let that happen again.

Ok, so there's my 2 cents,
Melissa

Yes,Take it..get it out of that environment asap!!
Even if she's not the right dog for you,it should be easy to rehome her through either a rescue or some other controlled route.
What an appalling way to keep a dog.
Sins

I'd take her.

I picked up a lab running on the highway this weekend (and then found her owners through Craigslist- no tags, no microchip, so frustrating). I get very emotional about animals not being well cared for- if you didn't want a dog you shouldn't have gotten one! (not directed at board members)

Watch out though, people can be very weird when giving their animals up. She could wind up calling you an hour later or a week later, and demanding her dog back. Perhaps have her sign the dog over to you, so she can't change her mind once you've paid the vet bills.

As someone who is ruled through her heart, I'd say take her.

I'd get someone to witness the exchange if you do, so this person can't make any claims against you regarding the ownership of the dog :)

Well i am afraid to say that because i asked too many questions to this women and she sees this as being "awkward" she is not rehoming her dog to me. She will rehome to someone who asks less questions! I asked too many questions and asked for a vaccine card! This is how i uncovered all these lies. How dear i! She wanted to post the vaccine card to me and i refused as i need to card to put the dogs into kennels when i am away in the next month. Now i am awkward! Thats because there is no vaccine card. I had to ask as i have my own dogs health to think of too! She would not take this as an answer either and i am being awkward!
She told me the dog was vaccinated, health checked, kc reg and microchipped and the dog has had none of any of it! Its only had one vaccine and thats what the breeder gave it, so its not even had the first proper vacs!!! The dog is 18 months old and has been walking around outside!

I now can see why there is so many poor dogs in rehoming centres. That poor dog. These people make me sick to my stomach!

Perhaps have a friend of yours get her, it's unlikely the woman will follow up with the dog in future, so if the pup happened to end up with you it shouldn't matter.

I think, basically, you embarrassed her (in front of herself), and now she's "punishing" you. I told you people get weird about giving up animals; it's like mentally stable people don't give their pets away, so anytime you're dealing with this situation you've got a nutcase on your hands.

OH I wanna___________________. Heck, do you have a "friend" that could offer to take the dog? Does she have the dogs listed up for adoption? Have this "friend" legally adopt the dog to from this BAD lady then get her that way? Yes, I think you are right about this dogs health...questionable I would hate for you to do something out of the goodness of your heart and cause harm to your dog.

Is she going to rehome her children as well???? Your right it makes me sick, I know someone that got a puppy last year and she has NEVER been to see a vet NOT one time. This girl finally found the need to have the dog fixed (its a female dog)then she whined about the cost....I just could not help myself outta my mouth came "well hello (badword) dogs need medical care too, what are you thinking owning a dog and can't afford vet visits" Plus this puppy now over a year old is still not house trained. Some people are just so selfish, puppies are cute but don't take one home, if your not willing or able to take care of it as if your would your own child. Although, some parents are just as bad with their kids.

Drives me nuts too. I'd give her a few days and ask her again...maybe she will find a heart and let you have her. By the way, is she selling you the dog or free to a good home? Are you able and willing to have her to a vet BEFORE you bring her in your home. Its going to cost you money to have tests done just to be sure she is healthy, and I'm guessing she will also have some behavior issue too. It shouldn't be too difficult to get her up to date on shots...going to take some planing with the vet, but I'm sure rescue groups do it all the time. If your willing a able to do it I wouldn't give up yet. Even if you have to go the "friend" route.... Lying is bad but sometimes necessary. Plus she doesn't really care about the dog anyway.

Good luck and let us know.

Melissa

Well i am afraid to say that because i asked too many questions to this women and she sees this as being "awkward" she is not rehoming her dog to me. She will rehome to someone who asks less questions! I asked too many questions and asked for a vaccine card! This is how i uncovered all these lies. How dear i! She wanted to post the vaccine card to me and i refused as i need to card to put the dogs into kennels when i am away in the next month. Now i am awkward! Thats because there is no vaccine card. I had to ask as i have my own dogs health to think of too! She would not take this as an answer either and i am being awkward!
She told me the dog was vaccinated, health checked, kc reg and microchipped and the dog has had none of any of it! Its only had one vaccine and thats what the breeder gave it, so its not even had the first proper vacs!!! The dog is 18 months old and has been walking around outside!

I now can see why there is so many poor dogs in rehoming centres. That poor dog. These people make me sick to my stomach!
Ohmygosh !! How terrible !!
I started reading thru the first couple posts..and was in total agreement w/ everyone. I thought > "YES...go her her ASAP..and give her the home she sooo deserves" !
She won't let you have her now??
All I can say to you..is God bless you for your efforts. Is there any authorities you can contact about this? The fact she has lied..and this poor dog hasn't had shots, etc...can anyone remove it from her?
Wow....why do people get dogs ( or any other pet for that matter) and not care enough to take the proper responsibility for it? Unbelieveably sad !

Ugh :(

I am so sorry she won't rehome to you. I too would ask a friend to take her and I'd bet she would not follow up if you are actually the one taking care of her.

If you can rehome, I would take to the vet and also get insurance. I might also want to isolate from my own dogs for a few days given she has not been properly vaccinated. Your dogs of course had their shots, so that might be being overly cautious, but still. :)

I agree with Murphy'sMum on witnessing the exchange, but I'd actually have her sign a piece of paper saying she is relinquishing the dog and will have no further claims on the dog. My sister went through a messy ordeal with a cat she got that was rehomed to her. The people changed their mind after the exchange and were coming over to get the cat back. Police had to be called ... it was messy!

Anyway, I hope you can make it work out okay.

BTW, a lot of people don't like to give Cavaliers shots (in the US) anyway, because according to research by Dr. Jean Dodds some shots carry immunity much longer than the space vets normally give between shots. I did get all my puppy shots for my dogs and then shots every 3 years. Many vets want to do annually but I do know very responsible Cavalier owners who Titer to check immunity in lieu of vaccinating. Of course this woman I'm sure did not do that!

what a terribly sad story,that poor little soul......how do people like this sleep? nasty **#**:bang:

like others have said a friend & a few fibs might be a way to go(I would not advocate lying ever..except if its to help)& a witness. or maybe try calling a local rescue,tho i doubt this person would let her go to rescue,no money in that! only kindness!(only my guess)

please update here if you hear any more,im not going to be able to stop thinking about this little one

Can't you just go back to her a say sorry (tough under the circumstances I know) and say that your not worried about the vaccine etc ect. Maybe just eat some humble pie to get around her or just get a friend to go get her

I got a friend to enquire and the dog got rehomed to the bronx of Norfolk sadly. I pray the little dog is ok. I hope she is in safe hands. Some people gggrrrrrrr!! I do know who the dogs breeder is and i will be calling her!

I just could never imagine doing what that women did to her dog. My dogs are important family members here. I find it shocking how people dont have that attachment. It frightens me to imagine sending my dogs to who knows where!

Many thanks for all your help xxxxx

Back