• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hair Overload! - Suggestions?

BeBe

Ok so BB is now almost 9 months old, I NOW see what people meant by they shed. Her first 9 months I felt like "hey, this is not so bad, I can keep up with this..." now that the hair is getting longer I have bought a new dysons upright animal vacuum cleaner but is there anything to help keep the couch cleaned up from hair? It is a bit much getting the upright out every night and cleaning up the couch but if I do not then I am looking like a hairball!

Thanks for any help!

Try handstripping her. If you keep her coat groomed out she will shed less.
I use either my fingers or a comb with an elastic band woven into the teeth.

I have to admit Oliver has quite a fine coat, so someone with a heavier coated Cavalier might be better placed to give advice. lol

Good luck :)
M&O x

Oh my goodness this is what I'm in for...:yikes:v*cuum:

Its ok anything Fletcher does I love him anyway..but I do not regret getting a dark brown sofa just last summer now. Oh well! I used to have beagles man do they shed :)

Melissa

Regular/daily brushing will help with hair.

I too am a HUGE fan of that handheld Dyson Animal -- a charge lasts for ages longer than other handhelds; I can do my entire stairs with it! So much handier for sofas etc too rather than getting out the whole vacuum.

Some individual cavaliers she d a LOT more than others...

But she is around the age that they often 'blow' their puppy coat and also as the weather is warm, she may just be shedding her winter coat -- so it may not be a permanent level of shedding.

Whew - Karlin you may have made my day! It has just gotten "summer" warm here in the Carolinas and I was unaware that she could be losing her puppy coat - that may explain things. Thanks to you and Brian for the handheld suggestion - I am off to buy the Dyson handheld you both recommend.

Do any of you use the FURminator on your Cavaliers? Thoughts? Does it work or would you steer clear?

Haha we have hardwood floors so we occasionally have a ball of hair just roll by...it's hilarious. Or sometimes we find a TON of accumulated hair in some nook or cranny.

1) Brush your dog regularly to get rid of dead/loose hair. Bebe -- we use the furminator and have not seen any negative effects.

2) We used to have one of those sticky roller things to pick Skippy's hair off our clothes but it got tiring buying replacements, so I bought several of these -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QRFNGS/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00
Have one in each of our cars and a couple spread out throughout the house.

Do any of you use the FURminator on your Cavaliers? Thoughts? Does it work or would you steer clear?
We use it and like it. ( Usually use it on the deck outside) Wrigley likes it too..and it works well for him.

LOL - everyone is too funny! I think Karlin is right she is losing her puppy coat so the hair has been significantly worse and the brush I have been using is just not enough. Sounds like the FURminator will help along with the Dyson's handheld - yeah! She is such a cute furry muffin - love her and the hair!

I use it but sparingly. It has a razor in it and it can strip the coat if used routinely. I use a lot behind my dogs ears where Matt's form easily. And I give them a once-over with it when they are shedding. It does do a good job of getting a lot off.

Another trick to getting dog hair off the couch and clothes is to dampen a wash cloth or rag, roll it tightly and gently scrape the cloth's surface. Brings away the dog hair nicely. I also use a simple bristle broom on my carpets once in a while when I don't feel like vacuuming. Gets all the surface hair quite well.

Haha we have hardwood floors so we occasionally have a ball of hair just roll by...it's hilarious. Or sometimes we find a TON of accumulated hair in some nook or cranny.

Sounds just like home.

With six fluffy dogs hair is regarded as a condiment in our household.

Sounds just like home.

With six fluffy dogs hair is regarded as a condiment in our household.

LOL.....:rotfl:..that's funny !! Same here !!
If someone finds a little hair ball in the corner I happened to miss... I just tell them it's added DECOR !!! ;)

Last edited:
I do my best to keep up with the hair. If I let it accumulate into tumbleweeds Sparky lets me know it is time to Dyson because he'll start snacking on them. (maybe it's a puppy mill rescue sort of thing ... but he loves eating hair ... gross!).

He is my big shedder. Lucky sheds but Sparky REALLY sheds.

I hope BeBe is just blowing her puppy coat. You could be in for better or worse when the adult coat comes in. :)

Hope you get a light shedder. :)

Yeah, no ... haha, it's pretty bad. I remember when I got a Havanese I thought the shedding would be terrible because of the soft silky hair, but they have virtually no shedding at all. My corgi is pretty bad though. But cavaliers are from the worst I've seen ;)

I recently picked up a Furminator and was amazed at how much fur it brought out. Charlie doesn't seem to mind in the slightest un less you snag it on a mat.

Hello!
The shedding is making me crazy! Amy started to shead at 5 months, last january, and didn't stoped ever since, however shedding a lot more now!!!!
Here, in Portugal, by this time we should have very hot weather (way above 30º32º Celcius) but we had a week of 30ºC and then fallowed by 3 weeks of 22ºC-24ºC!!!! So dogs are shedding like crazy!!! And very confused, also!!!

Before, I passed the furminator once or twice a week, sometimes even less. Now, I am passing furminator EVERY day. I don't see the point on not using it, because the fur that don't cames out in the furminator, it will came out on the furniture or on the floor. So I rather control where she sheeds (outside with the FURMINATOR).

And I vacumm Every single day! And I also pass the broom/mopa almoust every end of the day...
Amy's 11 month now.

I will take a pick at the vacumms that you recommend, even they aren't commercialized here.
Anyone uses vacumm-robot?

Lola is shedding so badly at the moment! Me and my boyfriend(who owns a Ruby cavvie called Tilly) took them both to the beach earlier. On the way home, both fell asleep ontop of me and my black top. When we got out of the car, I looked like I was wearing a Ruby/White coloured dog hair cardigan! Yuck! Drives me INSANE!!!x

Back