Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 year old cavalier volunteered for the Cavalier Collection Scheme

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 15 year old cavalier volunteered for the Cavalier Collection Scheme

Yesterday I spent the morning acting as chauffeur to a wonderful small time cavalier breeder who had volunteered her very frail old lady of fifteen to the Cavalier Collection Scheme.

The owner contacted me when it became obvious that her oldie, who was incontinent, very unsteady on her legs and bewildered when she needed to be cleaned up, no longer had any quality of life to look forward to.

We went to Cambridge where the little dog was given a general anaesthetic, MRI scanned, and then, while still unconscious, she was put to sleep while being held by her very brave owner.
    This was not an emergency situation, so we were able to carefully plan to ensure all the people needed were available when we arrived.

Invaluable cell tissue samples were taken very soon after death to aid research into syringomyelia, MVD and pancreatic disease in cavaliers ( and in humans )

I do not know if the little dog's owner, who did give me permission to post about the 'gift of life' she so bravely volunteered, ever visits this forum. I do hope she does, because I would like her to know just how much I admire her and how grateful I am that she showed what some of the ordinary caring cavalier breeders & owners are capable of doing.

She said she wanted to give something back to cavaliers and what she actually has done is help to give our cavaliers the chance of a healthier future.

And bless her heart, she also donated a generous amount of money to the Collection Scheme.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Margaret

Thanks for posting and making us all aware .I do so hope and pray that all my four girls live to at least 15 and when the time comes for
    each that I am as brave as this kind Lady who I sincerely thank, for doing what she and her brave beautiful little girl have done, for all our Cavaliers that
    are here now and for the future generations to come , we are all so indebted to both.

With Sincerest Thanks

Brian and

Poppy,Daisy,Rosie and Lily
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a wonderful lady, please pass on our very grateful thanks, that can not have been easy for her So kind to to donate to the scheme so that further Cavaliers can help the research.

It is lovely to hear of a Cavalier living to the grand age of 15.

Brilliant that you managed to get the right people in place at Cambridge, for this exceptional and unique scheme.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Yes she is a very brave lady. Future generations of cavaliers owe a lot to people like her.

Yes I wish all our cavaliers would live to be 15 years old.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Margaret for arranging this and taking and supporting her. This was a wonderful gesture from the owner, we are all truly grateful.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

I'm tearing up as I read this. To do something so wonderful at a time of such sadness for her, she is truely an angel. Thanks to you Margaret for arranging this and helping her. Run free little lady.
    Last edited by Sydneys Mom; 15th June 2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely gesture from this Lady. I do hope she finds comfort in knowing what she did will help the future of this little breed.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

What an awesome way to give back and I love hearing of a 15 year old Cavalier!!!! Thanks for sharing...
    Noelle, B.B., & Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful, sad and yet heart warming story of both grief and bravery.

I pray Oliver lives to at least 15 and that he and I are able to do the same.

Awareness is the key and I'm sure as many of us that can will offer the same when our pets time comes.
    Thanks Margaret.

M&O

Post Thanks / Like

My deepest condolences for her loss. She was very blessed to have her lovely Cavalier for such a long time. That would be my wish for all of us. We are all thankful for her willingness to support research so that more Cavaliers will be able to live long and happy lives. She is a wonderful and caring person.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire