• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Training Class!

MomObvious

Hi all. I have Fletcher signed up to start our first puppy class, in July, but since I'm not working already (YAHHHHH-anyway another story) I called to see if there was a class starting earlier because I feel behind with Fletcher. He's a wild guy and my limited dog training education is showing. Well, turns out we can start tomorrow evening they have one opening. We, mostly me have to get with it and learn some stuff. Excited!!!! Wish my luck and I will update after our first class. Fletcher is 18 weeks old now, maybe its just me and its normal but he has ADHD and zero attention span, however, he is better when I walk him alone. And every time I try to work with him with a treat reward he is OCD about the treat and doesn't mind..... Oh well, see WE NEED HELP!

This class is part of the ACK star puppy program so its good right?????

Melissa

It's probably decent if it's part of AKCs program, but don't assume so. Many people find they don't like how their hired trainer deals with their dog or dislike the advice they're getting. There really are a lot of ill-educated trainers out there. It pays to educate yourself on dog training philosophies and follow your instincts. A really good trainer is a god-send! The philosophy I like best is Dr. Ian Dunbar's. He really understands puppies and what they are all about.

Hope you get a really good trainer. The class can be a lot of fun and a wonderful bonding experience.

My vet recommended this place its kind of small they have 3 trainers, and one is the owner. My vet and I are on the same wave length so I'm hoping........ I don't know much about dog training but I know plenty about child training so it shouldn't be too much different, I hope. Plus Fletcher isn't stupid so I'm thinking this will be fun and educational at the same time. But if you know anything about me I have a big mouth, and little control of it icon_nwunsurebut I'm going it with the right state of mind.

Melissa

Hi all. I have Fletcher signed up to start our first puppy class, in July, but since I'm not working already (YAHHHHH-anyway another story) I called to see if there was a class starting earlier because I feel behind with Fletcher. He's a wild guy and my limited dog training education is showing. Well, turns out we can start tomorrow evening they have one opening. We, mostly me have to get with it and learn some stuff. Excited!!!! Wish my luck and I will update after our first class. Fletcher is 18 weeks old now, maybe its just me and its normal but he has ADHD and zero attention span, however, he is better when I walk him alone. And every time I try to work with him with a treat reward he is OCD about the treat and doesn't mind..... Oh well, see WE NEED HELP!

This class is part of the ACK star puppy program so its good right?????

Melissa

Melissa...you are so funny! I always have to smile when I read your posts ! You are gonna be fine w/ Fletcher ! I am sure he will do great..and it will be a fun experience for you both!
About the ADHD & OCD thing...hahaha..that is a pup for sure !! One thing I learned w/ Cavaliers training them ( as opposed to all the retrievers.. labradors & rottweillers in the past who are ALWAYS hungry!!)...Cavaliers don't really CARE if you have a treat in your hand!
At least that is the case w/ Wrigley. When he has his mind set on something..food is not much of a distraction!! So it is a bit harder to get them to respond to commands using that technique! Sooooo...when you go to puppy class..my advice.... have him a little bit hungry beforehand !!! ~*wink*

Diane~~~~

Believe me I know all too well about ADHD and OCD, my 12 year old has BOTH, plus throw in a little learning disability and anxiety!!!!!! Does matter, he works twice as hard as "others" to do things sometimes. He's an amazing kid, I wouldn't make him "normal" for anything he just came that way. And I'm not sure its learned ADHD or what but my 4 year old is a lot like my 12 year old, however, he has the" I take no crap" attitude as my daughter......so. I've already told my son's child physiologist, you cannot retire because I will need you for one more kid :fool:Well, at least I know and am willing to help my kids, not ignore it like some parents.

Fletcher LOVES treats in fact he's LOVES them so much he can't pay attention to anything BUT the treat....he's frantic for the treat, so I have stayed away for food rewards, he seems to do good with....Oh my sweet Fletcher baby mommy loves you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And some extra petting (ok so I don't know what extra petting is he gets lots of love)

I will let you know how it goes.
Melissa

Last edited:
:updte: Puppy class WAS NOT good, mostly because I drove 45 mins to the place to find out only one other person showed up so they canceled the class!!!!!!! NICE, she had my number she could have called me...........whatever, maybe a small school was not the right choice. So back to the old drawing board to find another class/program....lucky there is another bigger club in our area. Gonna call them tomorrow.

But, Fletcher enjoyed the ride in the car soooooooo

Melissa

Why travel 45 miles to a puppy class? Aren't' there any closer?

I did all my training with Lucky at Petsmart. Our trainer was the regional supervisor she was very good - and they give you a folder with all the homework assignments so even if the trainer is not great you can still keep up. Not ALL their trainers are great though - I thought I'd do a refresher course with Lucky at the new store that opened nearer to my house ... That was a different story. But they gave me my money back so it was okay.

I'm sure the club is great but if you just want something structured to get started I know several Cavalier owners who have done the Petsmart training.

I also had a great trainer at petsmart, and then missed a class and made it up with the other teacher- not awful, but just didn't communicate with the dogs well.

Try finding obedience or agility shows nearby. Go watch the show (plenty allow spectator pets too) it's worth seeing, and the way the people interact with their dogs is inspiring. Then just ask around for trainers.

Yeah I was told it's hit or miss (mostly miss) at the Petsmart where I live. Since I'm interested in trying (if I can learn to train and Fletcher has the temperment) to do therapy with him. As many of you know I have tons of experence with kids and I really would like Fletcher and I to visit the children's hospital regularly. I know that will take a lot of hard work from both me and Fletcher and several classes, so I really want to find a club that offers all that. I want to start with the AKC Star Puppy program and go from there, I realize this may not work but its should be fun trying.

If anyone of CT has a cavalier or any other dog who has done therapy work please let me know.

Melissa

Back